Netflix Book Survey! (Photos Included!)

Current Song: "Cloud 9" by Emarosa
Currently Reading: Inferno by Dan Brown

Hello all! It's time for a happy blog since all of mine have been depressing lately. I saw this on YouTube because I watch a lot of BookTube channels. I don't use my account to upload videos so I thought I'd share my responses on Mibba. I think these tags are a great way to recommend books as well. Along with my answers I'll include a photo of the cover of the book, a little synopsis of the story, my reasoning for the answer, and the first line of the book. Here we goooooo!!!

1. Recently Watched: The last book you finished reading.
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Image.

This is protagonist Robert Langdon's third adventure. He goes to Washington D.C. and there finds that a friend of his has been kidnapped. He has to decipher symbols in order to find the kidnapper and stop him from killing is friend.

I read this book because I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in the series (Angels & Demons which is my favorite and The Da Vinci Code). I only gave this book 3 out of 5 stars though. It didn't have the same aura the first two books created and for some reason I just wasn't enjoying this as much. Near the end of the book the only reason I was reading it was just so I could get it over with.

First line: "The secret is how to die."

2. Top Picks: A book/books that have been recommended to you based on book you have previously read.
I have two for this one.

First: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Image.

This book takes place in postmodern times. Offred (Literally "Of Fred") belongs to a group of women called handmaidens and they are kept strictly for reproductive purposes.

I was recommended this book because I read Atwood's The Blind Assassin and I loved it so I wanted to explore more of her works. This book is important and I highly recommend it.

First line: "We slept in what once had been the gymnasium."

Second book: The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
Image

This book follows a group of characters living in a small town after the death of a prominent neighbor.

This book was recommended to me since I loved Harry Potter and was willing to see what else J.K. has to offer. This book gets a lot of flack for some reason which is a shame because I absolutely adore this book. It left me in tears.

First line: "Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner."

3. Recently Added: The last book you bought
Inferno by Dan Brown
Image

Robert Langdon's fourth adventure. He wakes up in a hospital in Florence, Italy with no idea how he got there and no recollection of the past 36 hours. He and a nurse are being chased by a female assassin. They must decipher a series of codes based on Dante's Inferno.

I bought this to continue the Robert Langdon series. I was a little weary due to my disappointment of The Lost Symbol but this book has definitely made up for that and it brings back the aura of the first two books of the series.

First line: "I am the Shade."

4. Popular on Netflix: Books that everyone knows about. (2 you’ve read and 2 you have read or have no interest in reading)

(This is a long question so no pictures, synopsis, or first lines).

2 I've read: Harry Potter and Twilight. I adored Harry Potter and still do to this day. Twilight... I don't know. I adored it at twelve years old. Will I adore it now? Probably not.

2 I have no desire to read: A Court of Thorns and Roses and The Mortal Instruments. I don't really know why I don't want to read TMI but I keep pushing it back. I've read snippets of ACOTAR and just didn't like what I read. Maybe I'll give it a chance once the hype dies down.

5. Comedies: A funny book
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
Image

A Native American boy attempts to break away from the life he's destined to live. Partly based on Alexie's real life experiences.

I haven't read this book in years but I remember constantly laughing aloud.

No first line because I don't have it saved and don't feel like fishing out my kindle for it.

6. Dramas: A character who is a drama queen/king.
Bella Swan from The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
Image

Human meets vampire and they fall in love.

Opinion Dear. Fucking. Lord. Even at twelve years old I thought Bella was annoying. To be honest the only reason I liked these books so much was because of Alice Cullen. Bella was annoying and she nearly killed me in New Moon when she was turning eighteen. "But Edward I'm aaaaggiiiiiinnnggg."

First line: "I never thought about how I would die."

7. Animated: A book with cartoons on the cover
Maus II: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman
Image

Spiegelman interviews his father who is a Holocaust survivor and recounts his time during Auschwitz in the style of a graphic novel. Every character is depicted as an animal.

I chose this cover over the first book's because this image speaks to me more. I feel more looking at this than the first one.

First line: "Summer vacation."

8. Watch it again: A book/book series that you want to re-read
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Image

We all know what Harry Potter is about.

Out of all the people who have read this series, I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't read it more than once.

First line: "Mr. and Mrs. Dudley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Image

Told in the point of view of Death. A German girl lives in Nazi Germany and as the title suggests, she steals books. She befriends many and then the book just leaves you in tears.

This is my favorite book of all time and for some reason I've only read it once.

First line: "First, the colors."

9. Documentories: A non-fiction book you’d recommend to everyone
The Girl in the Red Coat by Roma Ligocka
Image

Ligocka was at a viewing for Stephen Spielberg's Schindler's List when she saw this scene:
Image
During her time in the ghetto (same ghetto in Schindler's List) she was known for her red coat. she resonated with the girl in the movie so she decided to write about her time during the war and what she and her mother had to do to survive. She also recounts post-war experiences.

Parts of this book just absolutely destroyed me and it gives insight to other things people did in order to survive (like Ligocka's mother dying their hair blonde and sneaking to the Aryan side of town).

First line: "The hotel in Negresco in Nice on France’s Cote d’Azur presides over the Promenade des Anglais like an enormous white ship."

10. Action and Adventure: An action packed book
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
Image

In the first book, Percy Jackson finds out he is the son of a Greek God and is sent to Camp Half-Blood. He sets out on a quest to find Zeus's lightning bolt.

This entire series just had me on my toes and I loved it so much.

First line: "Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood."

11. New Releases: A book that just came out or will be coming out soon that you can’t wait to read.
Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
Image

Eliza is a loner at school but under the name Anonymous, she is the most famous web-comic creator. The most famous fan fiction writer of her web-comic transfers to her school (unbeknownst to her). The two meet and sparks fly I guess.

I've heard nothing but good things about this book so I'm intrigued.

12. Max: Tag some people
All of you.

That's about it! Let me know what y'all think :)

Ciao a tutti!

Song at the Moment: "Young Lonely" by Emarosa
June 14th, 2017 at 08:32pm