I Wish I Knew How to Cook

Honestly, this is probably going to be the most random thing I ever write, but Kevin and I struck up a conversation last night before we went to bed, and that's more or less why I'm writing this.

When I was a kid, my grandmother (who I'm going to refer to as my Mawmaw because yes, that's what I called her) would cook all the time. She had so many tricks and different things that she did before she got sick, and luckily, my aunt today knows most of those tricks. For example, my Mawmaw made the best meatballs I've ever ate in my life and essentially, what she used for the sauce was grape jelly and chili powder. My aunt still makes these to this day at Christmas and Thanksgiving and it brings back so many memories.

I remember, when I was little, I'd stand in the kitchen and watch her cook for my sister and I during the summer. After she got sick though, my aunt spent a lot of time down here and she did most of the cooking, which I didn't mind, but it wasn't the same as my grandmother's. The one thing I remember my grandmother telling me though was one day she'd teach me how to cook, but she sadly passed away in 2011, when I was only 13.

My stepmother doesn't cook big meals that often unless it's a holiday or she feels like cooking chicken casserole. She dabbles in a few other things on occasion, but she has actually banned me from the kitchen a couple of times due to her thinking my medication would affect my ability to use an oven; that really, really pisses me off honestly.

So, honestly, this is embarrassing to say on my part, I'm going to be 19 next month and the most I know how to cook is something you throw in a microwave. I stay away from the oven mostly, even though I'd like to be able to cook meals for people to enjoy.

So, on to the conversation with Kevin... He works in construction and pulls pretty long shifts along with his father (I'm staying with both of them; he lives in his father's house which is perfectly okay) and both of them more or less eat frozen food for dinner, or we go out to one of the local restaurants. He said to me last night that he needed to teach me how to cook so I'd be able to have dinner ready when the two of them got off of work because honestly, if I'm not working, I'm sitting here on my laptop wasting my life away.

...and I'm kinda here to ask for some advice...

I want to start out with simple small things more or less; easy recipes that I could possibly cook to kind of practice and build up a little bit of a skill. One of these days, I just kinda want to be like my grandmother because like I said, she could cook.

I see a lot of recipes on Facebook and I share quite a bit of them, but I can't build up the courage to try them out for myself because I'm honestly terrified that I'd end up messing them up and wasting time and probably money.

So, I want to start out simple more or less; what I'm asking for is small recipes that I could cook for just a few people. You can give me links or possibly just type them out. I'd highly appreciate it and if I do happen to try them out, I'll inform you of how they went.

I'd highly appreciate it because like I said, I want to be like my grandmother one day.

Okay, random nonsense over,

Kayla VI
June 20th, 2017 at 11:06pm