This Meme Only Exists to Show Off Your Taste in Music (Fanmix Yourself)

So, I have noticed in the blog section several people are doing this survey thing that's like pick a song that blah blah blah, and I wanna do it, too! I love music, and I love survey meme kind of things. And yes, I want to show off my taste in music to all of you because who doesn't love doing that honestly.

I listen to a little bit of everything musically, and I listen to and love A LOT of music, so this was actually quite a challenge for me. I also sort of tried not to repeat the same artists over and over, but there is some repeat because some artists I just love way a lot.

Anyway without further ado, here is my mix:

reminds you of your favourite season / day / month:"Don't Let Go"- Weezer. Really the whole green album, but I had to pick one song, and I went with that one. The green album reminds me of spring and summer, just warm weather and good times. I'm not sure why. I think it's a combination of that is the time of year when I first got the album and got obsessed with it many years ago and the fact that the sound of the album is just so bright and sunny and fun.

is your favourite pump up song: "The Phoenix"- Fall Out Boy. This song gets me freakin' PUMPED, yo! There's just something about yelling "Heyyyyyyy, youngblood!", as well as that driving beat that just gets me going! It makes me feel like I could legitimately bust through a wall Kool-Aid Man style, but I've never tested whether that feeling is at all valid.

has a colour in the title:"Golden"-Farewell Fighter. Musically and lyrically, this song will always be one of my favorites.

that makes you want to fall in love: So, I've kinda been there and done that. God's already blessed me with the love of my life in the form of my husband Bear. But I will still answer this one! I'll say "The Gamber"-fun. because I remember before I had fallen in love it made me want to, and also because it's just honestly Relationship Goals. It's a song that is beautiful musically and lyrically that, whenever I listen to it, it reminds me to be as sweet and loving as the narrator. Like honestly, Relationship Goals!!

is your favorite cover of a song: I love cover songs, so this one was hard! I'll go with "Round Here" as covered by Panic! at the Disco The song was originally written and performed by The Himalayans, but later Adam Duritz would re-record it in a different musical arrangement with the Counting Crows. Panic!'s cover is more like the Crows version. I picked this cover because Panic!'s cover is genuinely my favorite version of that song that I've ever heard, and I can still remember the first time I stumbled upon their cover on youtube and I was shook. I got so obsessed with it. I still really dig it.

you sing in the shower: Okay, so I sing in the shower a lot! For this one, I just decided to pick something crude and funny because I have a stupid sense of humor, and sometimes it makes me do goofy things like sing this song in the shower: "Pee in the Shower"- Guttermouth.

reminds you of someone: Okay, so for this one I am TRIPLE CHEATING, and I don't even care. I wanted a song for each of my three most favorite people in the world.
"Box of Rain"- Grateful Dead reminds me of my husband Bear. The Dead are one of his favorite bands, and he's the one who got me into them. "Box of Rain" is one of his favorite songs by them, and he's been known to use the title for things like usernames and the like.
"Half of My Heart" -John Mayer ft. Taylor Swift reminds me of my best friend. She and I both love John Mayer's music, and he's an artist that we have listened to together a lot. When this song first came out and was getting radio play, she would turn it up as loud as she could in her car whenever it came on when we were driving around. I cannot hear it now without picturing those kind of scenes in my mind. It's bittersweet because those were good times and I love her so much, but we live so far away from each other now and we have adult responsibilities and such so we don't have times like that as much as we did before.
"Last Night"-Motion City Soundtrack reminds me of my mom because it's one of her favorite songs ever. We both pretty much agree that it's the best track off of the Even If It Kills Me album. I seldom ever listen to that song that I don't think of Mom because it's just her jam.

you’ve fallen in love with recently because of the lyrics:"Odds Are"- Barenaked Ladies. I recently discovered this song, and I really, really love it. It's so uplifting in that offbeat Barenaked Ladies style. Some lyrics for reference:
Hit by the A-Train crashed in an airplane
I wouldn't recommend either one
Killed by a Great White or a meteorite
I guess there ain't a way to go that's fun
But somewhere in the world someone is gonna fall in love by the end of this song
So, get up, get up no it's never gonna let up
So, you might as well sing along


is your favorite 90s/2000s song: OKAY THIS ONE IS UNFAIR. Most of my favorite jams are from the 90s and 2000s! I will go with one of my favorite songs ever though: "Walking in Memphis"-Marc Cohn

you want to hear live:"Timelines"-Motion City Soundtrack. Too bad I probably never will now though. :/

is from a genre of music you don’t usually listen to:"Science Fiction"- Bassnectar ft. Luzcid. I don't listen to a lot of EDM or dubstep or any of that kind of music, but this is one of the songs from that genre (and I know I'm using "genre" very loosely here, but pretty much everything ranging from techno to dubstep to EDM to whatever else is all music I just don't tend to like very much, alright?) that I do like, at least on occasion. It probably just appeals to me because it has kind of an epic sci-fi sound, and I'm something of a sci-fi nerd. Anyway though, it's a pretty cool track.

you know all the lyrics to: I know all the lyrics to A LOT of songs, okay. I'll go with "1985" -Bowling for Soup though because I've recently rediscovered just how much fun it is to listen to Bowling for Soup. (Revisiting adolescent faves for the win!) And that song is just, undeniably fun to sing. Seriously, if you know the song, I'm betting you're wanting to sing it right now.

makes you feel invincible: "Champion" -Fall Out Boy. I have mixed feels about FOB's latest, BUT there's no denying that this song has grown on me. There's also no denying that repeating loudly "If I can live through this, I can do anything!" makes me feel freakin' powerful!

you listen to when you’re sad: "Keep Passing the Open Windows"- Queen. Usually when I'm sad I listen to a mix of sad stuff and uplifting stuff, y'know, to acknowledge my feelings and then to try to change them for the better. This is one of my go-to uplifting tracks.

is by your favorite artist/band: Big surprise here, another MCS song! I picked a classic track for this one: "Everything is Alright".

makes you feel like going on a road trip: "Truckin'"- Grateful Dead. So, I haven't roadtripped much listening to the Dead, so this isn't exactly road tested, but I've been listening to a lot of the Dead lately, and I got to thinking they would make great road trip music (granted, we have some live tapes that are what I was specifically thinking of.) Also, this song is literally about life on the road! So, yeah, probably a great road trip song, and I want to test it out!

you wrote your most beloved story to: Okay, so I don't really have a "most beloved story", so I will go with a story I wrote recently that I am pretty proud of: my Quantum Leap fic Still Here. For that story, there were a lot of songs I would listen to for inspiration or that I would listen to while doing editing. One of them that I really, really love was "Still Breathing"- Green Day

reminds you of one of your otps: I HAVE A LOT OKAY. Like, even just for Mulder and Scully, my like "alpha otp" alone, I have a lot. I will pick one though: "Say You Won't Let Go"-James Arthur. I can't remember if I noticed it on my own or if it was pointed out to me, but certain lines of that song and just like the general vibe of it are very MSR appropriate. Also, yes, that is my current theme on the forums, that song plus Mulder and Scully. That is one of those songs that I have given to Mulder and Scully, and it will always be theirs.

is an instrumental song that you love: I actually love a lot of instrumental stuff, too! I will go with this string/piano arrangement of The X-Files theme though. One: because I'm X-Files trash. Two: because it's genuinely really, really pretty and also because the TXF theme is already a legitimately great and iconic theme.

the end credits roll to: "Backwards Down the Number Line"-Phish. I'm not totally sure what compelled me to pick this song, but it feels right, both musically and lyrically as a closer for the playlist and as a song that fits me personally pretty well.

Anyway! That's my playlist! I hope you guys have at least half as much fun reading this and maybe even listening to the songs as I did putting them all together and writing this all out!
July 14th, 2017 at 06:28pm