What Makes One a Good Writer?

Most writers that I have met throughout my life have conflicting opinions on their own writing. Sometimes they feel confident that writing is their calling; other times, they feel embarrassed of every word that they have ever typed, and want to quit the practice all together. Maybe I’m just projecting my own feelings onto writers as a whole, but it does seem that it is common for writers to feel confused about their own skill level.

It’s interesting to consider what exactly makes one a good writer. Is it a born talent? Some artists like Picasso could paint a masterpiece at a young age, and many classical musicians already excelled at composition in childhood. Are some naturally talented at writing in this way? Or is it simply that some of us have an urge to write, an affinity for words, and so we dedicate ourselves to practicing more often than others?

I think that it is a combination of all of the above. Certain people are more creative than others (it’s not really a choice), and creative people usually have their own specific talents. Some people just have that spark in their writing, that others could never have regardless of how often or strenuously they practice. Conversely, some people who have the imagination needed in order to create such a spark never practice and thus never realize their potential.
July 23rd, 2017 at 06:43am