Top 10 OTP's

Hey everyone!

I was watching a video on Youtube about the top 10 relationships in teen drama shows. This video was by MsMojo in case you were curious. While I was watching the video, I found myself browsing through comments and reading a lot of hate; this isn't an uncommon thing within various fan groups, but I was still take aback by it a little. They called certain relationships disgusting -- Aria and Ezra from Pretty Little Liars -- and others were deemed toxic -- Blair and Chuck from Gossip Girl -- while others were simply picked apart by people who were obviously hurt by the fact that their OTP had to make way for someone else their pairing; Stelena fans vs. Delena fans.

(Now, I was originally going to post an elaborate blog post about my top 10 favorite ships of all times, but my computer restarted without my consent and I've lost all my work and now can't be bothered to rewrite it again.) Here's a run down of my favorite pairings and a small summary of why them and not someone else.

10.

Image
Spencer Hastings and Toby Cavanaugh from Pretty Little Liars.


Pretty Little Liars has some amazing ships, though some will argue their hearts out saying that some of these ships -- Aria and Ezra -- are illegal and disgusting. I personally always found myself rooting for Spencer and Toby, the unlikely couple that ended up stealing my heart. Now, I never watched passed season 4 and I have no idea how the story eventually ended for them, but regardless of the fact whether or not the ended up being endgame, I will always root for them.

9.

Image
James Fraser and Claire Beauchamp from Outlander.


If you haven't watched Outlander yet, I would highly recommend it. At it's core a love story, it is set in 18th century Scotland and tackles the ongoing battle between the Scottish and the English. You can sense the immediate chemistry between Claire and Jamie upon first introduction. Theirs being such a natural relationship that blossoms beautifully, but also out of a need for safety. The scene's shared by them are both entertaining and beautiful, ranging from honest fights to passionate love scene's. When faced with difficult decisions, they fight for each other and in the end they will break your heart, I promise you.

8.

Image
Damon Salvatore and Elena Gilbert from The Vampire Diaries.


Have you ever loved a character so much that all you wanted for them was a happy ending? Damon Salvatore is such a character for me. I fell in love with his character from the get-go; I really love insane and unlovable characters, sue me. His personal growth and love towards Elena made me love him even more. Why is this ship number 8 and not ranked higher? One simple explanation: Elena Gilbert. While I am happy that my sweetheart ended up happy, I often found that Elena thought his love was convenient only when she could benefit from it. Though she genuinly fell in love with him and their relationship ended up growing on me more and more, the fact that it had such a rocky start ranks them low on the list.

7.

Image
Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak from Arrow.


I have a love/hate relationship with Oliver and Felicity, mainly because I believe the writers did not do them justice once they were finally brought together. They both started becoming extremely egocentric, acting out of character and making idiotic decisions that influenced their relationship negatively. Still, they have a special place in my heart because of their undeniable chemistry. When they first introduced Felicity to the show, I don't think the writers grasped what they'd created. Their banter, mixed with the countless of innuendo's Felicity makes and the sparks that fly between them, makes them one of my favorite problematic couples.

6.

Image
John Silver and James Flint from Black Sails.


Before you say anything, I know these two are not a canon ship and I don't care. This is one of those ships that crept up and me. I absolutely love both of these characters as individuals, and when they started growing closer and started relying on each other more than anyone else, it just blossomed into something magical. They ended up being each others undoing, but the part that will always remain the most important to me is when Flint tells Silver about his past, about his love for another man, and how Silver doesn't flinch, doesn't look away, doesn't judge and simply accepts it. That was the part when I realized that there was true love between them.

5.

Image
Buffy Summer and Spike from Buffy The Vampire Slayer.


Before we start a special shout out to Willow and Tara, who almost made the cut. I know there are two massive camps: The ones that ship Buffy with Angel and the ones who ship Buffy with Spike. While I adored Buffy and Angel together, I loved the latter more! Spike has always been a favorite character of mine and to see him struggle with his affection towards Buffy, only for her to return it during the sixth season was everything my shipper heart could hope for. Some might say that Buffy never truly loved Spike, which might be true in the end, but she did deeply care for him and you could see it in her eyes during their final scene together. Their love was messy, chaotic but brilliant.

4.

Image
Mark Sloan and Lexie Grey from Grey's Anatomy.


DON'T TOUCH ME! This is a ship I will never get over, especially because they died before they could truly be happy together. From the moment their relationship started, I was invested and so was my heart. When that plane went down and Lexie died while Mark was holding her hand just broke me. I'll just have to find peace in the fact that the two of them are reunited in heaven. I also found that they were often problematic with one and other, but their struggles were super real -- which are most of the struggles of Grey's Anatomy -- and if you'd ask me if there was a ship that would forever haunt me, it would be these two.

3.

Image
Peyton Sawyer and Lucas Scott from One Tree Hill.


Nathan and Haley were epic, but my heart always rooted for Peyton and Lucas. Even when he was with Brooke, who I loved deeply, I hoped he'd see the light and return to Peyton. There is something magnetic about them, they just flowed together perfectly and they understood each other on a deeper level. Their artistry and chemistry just draws me in each time, but also their heart aches and their fights, the miscommunication and added drama, sometimes I wanted to smack their heads together, sit them in a corner and tell them to behave. Eventually they get married and have a child, leaving the series on a high note. Which is always the point I stop watching, unfortunately.

2.

Image
Stiles Stilinksi and Lydia Martin from Teen Wolf.


I am going to send the link to this blog post to some people, who might be going 'Really?' right now. Yes, Stiles and Lydia are number two. I've rooted for these two since the beginning of time! Some might argue that Stiles was obsessed with Lydia, bordering on being somewhat of a stalker, but I simply don't care. His love and adoration for her is pure and forgiving; she did treat him like dirt during the first season and even made out with his best friend. The last few seasons have been redeeming of Lydia her character -- though I did love her during the first few seasons as well -- and the realization that she started having feelings for Stiles was beautiful. The Wyld Hunt was important for them and I am super happy that they are now canon!

1.

Image
Francis Valois and Mary Stuart from Reign.


Have you ever had a ship that made you want to curl up in a ball and cry? Just because of the emotions you feel because of them? Frary is that ship for me. I have suffered through seasons of them tucking at my heart strings, playing jump rope with my emotions and than tossing me aside when I was finally content with their happiness. It was all one massive emotional roller coaster ride and I was sitting front and center. When Francis died, part of me died with him and when the two were reunited at the end of the series, I was the happiest little crying fan girl ever. I don't think any ship will ever come close to what these two made me feel.

Honerable mention

Image
Dean Winchester and Castiel from Supernatural.
August 10th, 2017 at 06:21pm