Racism in America

So, for those of you who haven’t been made aware; there’s a growing movement in the states right now. White Supremacy has reared its ugly head once again in the form of tiki torch bearing right wing Nazi propaganda, harassment, and murder. 3 days ago, a woman was murdered and 19 other people were injured by a white supremacist who ran over a crowd full of counter protestors in the streets of Charlottesville, Virginia. Unite the Right is a white supremacist organization that was protesting the removal of a Confederate statue of none other than Robert E. Lee. Yes, it is as bad as it sounds. These young men motivated by the current political climate, came from all over the country to assemble against the removal of the statue of the man that lead the Confederate Army who ultimately lost to the Union and freed the slaves.
Image
Image
Now I know topics of race are very sensitive for some folks-people even get defensive. My anger is not directed at all white people. My anger is directed specifically at the white people fighting tooth and nail to preserve the status quo and view minorities as people who are beneath them. I myself am a minority and I can’t even begin to count the number of times I’ve been called an illegal and told “Trump is going to throw you over the wall” among other offensive slurs I will not mention here. In my honest opinion, I don’t think Donald Trump created this, I think he benefitted from it and gave it a breeding ground, emboldening racists everywhere to pick up their torches and “take their country back.”
Image
What agitates me the most is that Heather Heyer’s (the murder victim) death is being parodied by the right’s most tenacious conspiracy nuts-saying that this tragedy was orchestrated by the left to make the president look bad. No, I refuse to accept that offensive nonsense as the truth. This young woman was protesting injustice and slavery when a modern-day Nazi killed her and hurt all those other people. Their attempts at making it look like the neo-Nazis are the victims is insulting and despicable to her memory. People are being killed for standing up to hate. Muslims are being targeted and hate crimes are on the rise. So, excuse me if I fail to feel any sort of sympathy for a statue of a man that was intent on keeping his slaves. Excuse me if I refuse to shut up and sit down while they hold their hate orgies and speak about people of color as if they are subhuman. It took the president 3 days, 3 days to call it for what it is and he still didn’t acknowledge it as an act of white supremacist terrorism. Why? Because he’s scared of angering his base; they the people who voted for him because they want to “take their country back.” That’s what his slogan means to me. Make America Great Again is the rallying cry of angry, racist, white people who are now killing again invoking his name in the process. So no, Mr. President your words read off a teleprompter are not enough, your actions i.e. hiring Steve Bannon to your council among other strong figures of the alt right are. We heard you loud and clear. This is not my America. This disgusting orgy of hate has no place here. We had a war over what the Nazi’s did and to welcome it here with open arms is almost an act of treason.
August 15th, 2017 at 07:23am