Harvey 2017

Things have been pretty real in Texas these last couple of days. And it's not over yet. It's still raining, y'all. Everything is flooded and it is STILL RAINING.

I've been lucky enough to not get any water in my home (yet) but we've taken precautions. Dining room chairs up on top of the table, plastic dishes covering the legs. We even have bags packed. Just in case.

There have been hundreds of rescues just today. Police are asking for anyone with a boat to help out. The news has told us that waist deep water is not imminent danger because they're getting SO MANY calls for help. Waist deep, y'all. They're telling us to just get on the roofs if it gets that bad. The police, firefighters, and coast guard have been working tirelessly to help people, but helicopters can only airlift one or two at a time. The new rescue vehicles only fit seventeen at a time. There's only so much they can do.

And it's still raining.

People are reaching out on Facebook. There's a page for the hurricane and it's all pleas for help. Help for their children, for the elderly, for the family animals. They're all scared that they're going to drown.

Louisiana citizens are coming to help because they remember Katrina all too well. They know exactly what we're going through.

HEB (a Texas based grocery store that is amazing) have tons of 18 wheelers on the roads trying to bring hot meals and other provisions to shelters.

And it's still raining.

Coastline cities have been completely demolished. Rockport, Port Aransas, and parts of Galveston are just about wiped from the map. Officials in those areas suggested that those who decided to stay write their social security numbers on their arms in permanent marker to make it easier to identify their bodies.

Houston was not told to evacuate and some people are really upset about that because of all the damage we've sustained, but years ago, another big storm was supposed to hit and those who evacuated were on the roads for 24+ hours. They ran out of gas and food. Houston and the surrounding areas are made up of nearly 6 million people. Considering how fast this storm formed, going from a tropical depression one day to a Category 3 hurricane the next and then hitting landfall at a 4... There was no way we would have all been able to get out safely. People would have died on the roads.

They're saying this is the worst storm to ever hit Texas. There was another really bad one in 1901, but we've had a lot since then. And this is the worst.

I've tried to post pictures, but it won't let me, but just to give you an idea, our freeways are totally flooded. Signs about twenty feet high are just a few inches above water now.

There is a large dam near a neighborhood that is full to capacity and officials have decided to let the water out before it breaks and causes even more damage.

Let me reiterate. They are going to release more water to prevent the dam breaking and causing even more damage.

There are pictures of people sleeping on their counters, of animals on roofs, of people fishing in their houses because fish, snakes, and even alligators are getting displaced.

All I can ask is for y'all to send good vibes or prayers or whatever our way. The news keeps saying that this is "catastrophic and life-threatening flooding". And it is.
August 28th, 2017 at 05:42am