Bored | Vet Tech Work

I'm bored right now. I only have been getting about one day a week off and it seems like I waste that one day on being bored and stuff. I guess it's because I always plan on doing my cleaning on that day and then when I don't...well, I procrastinate all day.

I'm a veterinary technician, which can be very cool at times and I've honestly thought about starting to blog more about it. The hospital I currently work for just had a major turnover, and since we haven't had the manpower I've been working about 12 hours a day. I'm just sort of glad that college didn't pan out for me this semester because I would be completely losing my mind right about now.

One of my coworkers, Donna, had to bring in her Alaskan Malamute on Wednesday. Her dog had been not eating and throwing up on occasion for the past 3 days. When we took an x-ray it was noted that he had an object in his abdomen that the vets couldn't identify--whether it was a mass or a foreign body. So, he needed exploratory surgery. He had eaten a soft rattle about six inches long whole and it was stuck in his digestive tract. How that dog did that is beyond me. He must've unhinged his jaw like a python. Once removed, he had a 50/50 chance of living through the night.

Donna was distraught, as you can imagine, and furious with her daughter for leaving a rattle out for the dog to eat. You can't really blame her daughter because I know I wouldn't think my dog would eat a rattle that size. Our clinic only has day hours, so me, another tech, and two doctors were planning to take shifts throughout the night to keep an eye on him but instead one of the vets elected to spend the night at the clinic. She slept in one of the exam rooms and thankfully, the dog was okay and was discharged last night and will be back in for daily visits for a few days.
October 6th, 2017 at 10:01pm