Adulting Sucks

So last night, I got kind of sick out of nowhere and basically ended up throwing up all night. I felt really dizzy and nauseous any time I moved, I had severe shakes to the point that I literally couldn't hardly stand. My boyfriend, bless his soul, didn't even complain when I literally somehow managed to get sick all over the entire bed. He's such a lovely person and the world needs more people like him, I swear.

Anyway, so I woke up today and wasn't feeling much better. The nauseous feeling is still there, but I haven't thrown up yet and hope that I don't end up doing so. I've still felt dizzy and just general queasiness, which is really uncomfortable for me because all I want to do is write and get more points for my team for the Writing Cup.

Image


Anyway, being sick is always bad but when you get debt collectors calling your family and friends, it's made even worse. This is something that I thought had been taken care of last year. I had just moved into a new duplex and my first roommate ended up getting evicted by the landlady, and I needed to find a new roommate to pay her half of the rent. Through some mutual friends, I met a guy named Tony and it seemed like a good fit. I wasn't looking for a boyfriend at that time, or anything more than someone to literally just pay their half of the bills. I didn't want to socialize with said roommate, though I wanted to be on good terms with them. Tony was in the same frame of mind and so he moved in and gave me his deposit money and all that. I kind of knew about ten minutes after he moved in that it wasn't going to work, and I should have kicked him out then, actually. His dad was still moving stuff into the house when I caught him shooting up in the bathroom - he hadn't even really introduced himself at that point. I really should have followed my gut and just kicked him out then - no paperwork had been signed yet, so it would have been legal.

But I didn't. I chose to look past his obvious misgivings and thought to myself, "if he can pay rent, who cares if he's doing drugs?" Wrong thinking, Mibba. Sure, he paid his first deposit and his half of that month's rent...That was literally the only money I ever got from him ever. During the month that he lived in my duplex, a checkbook went missing and so did my ID for awhile. The ID turned up after a week or so, in a place I know I had checked.

Well, it turns out that Tony had taken one of my checks, and also made a fake ID off my real one for a girl he was seeing, and they went to a payday loan place and took out a loan for around $700. I didn't find out about this until well after the fact of him moving out, and by then it was basically too late for the police to do anything because he had disappeared, like people like him usually do, and I couldn't find any trace of him. The loan company wipes over their footage every 48 hours, so there was no visual proof that I wasn't the person with him, or that the ID was fake because the person who processed him conveniently didn't photocopy the ID like they're supposed to.

Basically, I'm on the hook for paying this $700 back. I called them last year when I got a similar phone call and they said they'd look into it and I never heard back until my best friend messaged me today and told me that they had called her. They had also called my grandmother, which is ridiculous because I never use her as a reference. Ever. Because of personal reasons. Anyway, after hearing all about how horrible I am from her, and what an irresponsible person I am, blah blah blah...I called the company the loan people called, and I've set up a payment plan that'll keep this from going to court and having myself sued. I'm not really happy about it, but I'm going to do it...and then I'm going to track Tony down and take him to court if I'm able to. Because I still have all that paperwork from when I filed the report on my missing check, and I do have some paperwork from the loan people that he signed. Maybe I'll get the money back, maybe I won't. Either way, adulting sucks sometimes.
October 17th, 2017 at 08:50pm