NaNoWriMo 2017 | Tips and Tricks

Hey, all! I've seen a flurry of NaNo blogs come in and I'd just like to formally announce that I am participating in NaNoWriMo this year! It's surprising to myself the most, as I didn't think I would do it, but I've somehow found the motivation buried under all my stress.

So the project I'm working on is the same one I referenced in a previous blog--The Land of Infinite Whispers. It's a fantasy/romance/horror story about a bard and a noble lady saving the world; I didn't like it much at first, but after some reading and writing and rewriting and plotting its grown on me. I wrote the very first chapter (what I have posted) and edited it all just so I have the introduction all done before NaNo, and until November First I'm going to be plotting and planning to make sure that my writing process goes as smoothly as possible.

Image


I'd appreciate it if you guys could check it out; it's a little long, but I think it's completely worth it.

Anyways--add me on the NaNoWriMo website! to keep up with my word count (though I'm sure I'll be posting updates). Also I'm frequently doing Word Sprints on Twitter and engaging with some NaNo friends, so feel free to follow me there too!

Why am I linking these things, you ask? Its because the single most important key to winning NaNoWriMo is being involved in the community. I've done NaNo every year for the last 5, going on 6, and I've won three. I've also done Camp NaNoWriMo a few times and only won once--but I know exactly why I lost, and that's because I wasn't involved with ANYONE. My first few November NaNos I was on twitter, with friends, etc. to basically immerse myself in the writing culture for a month, but every year I lost? Dead silence--I didn't talk to any fellow WriMos or anyone, I wasn't involved, and I was all around a bad sport. So believe me when I say this: IF YOU WANT TO WIN NANOWRIMO, BE INVOLVED. Not necessarily on the WriMo forums, but in the NaNo community in general, no matter where.

And now that I got the most important thing out of the way, here are some other general tips and tricks:
  • Outline and plan your novel. This can be as vague or detailed as you want (I do vague so I can have wiggle room), but do a chapter-by-chapter outline of how your novel will go down. This will help prevent any "I don't know where to go!" situations and will assure you have enough content to meet the word count! (Although, I have gone without an outline most years and won).
  • Do word sprints/wars. These are writing segments where you set aside an allotted time (i.e., "Write from :15 to :30!" is a fifteen minute sprint) to write like the wind. These really come in handy when you need to write fast and get your words done. I won NaNoWriMo 2014 in nine days by doing these as much as I could every day.
  • Watch YouTube! Hah! Probably weren't expecting that. Something I find astoundingly useful during NaNoWriMo are watching writing vlogs--namely, Katytastic's NaNoWriMo Vlogs as well as her other writing videos. I turn these on when I'm writing and it really helps keep me motivated.
  • Stay away from people. Unless you are writing together, stay away from people. Don't distract yourself and waste your freetime--Novemeber is for WRITING, which is all the fun you need.
...aaand that's all I got! If I'm missing anything comment and I'll add it here! But overall, NaNoWriMo is awesome and even if you don't think you'll win you should still attempt to to challenge yourself to do well. If you win, you get a bunch of goodies, like discounts on premium writing software and for a few years they give discounts on getting a printed edition of your book through CreateSpace! DO ITTTTT!!
October 22nd, 2017 at 06:32am