Earned History (Houston Pride Blog)

So, I'm not exactly the sporty type, but baseball is about the only sport I care about and BROOOOOO WE WON THE WORLD FUCKING SERIES. I AM SO STOKED.

I used to go to Astros games with my family when I was younger. It was only every once in a while except for one season in 2005 when my dad's boss hooked him up with season tickets, and it seemed like we were there, like, every other week. I used to sit next to my dad and shell peanuts with him and he'd buy my brother and I frozen lemonade and ice cream in the little helmets. I never really knew what was going on, but when he cheered, I cheered, and I knew that the little train would go down the track up in the roof whenever someone hit a home run. It was a really great time. A lot of good memories.

That happened to be the season when we went to the Word Series the first time. That was when we totally bombed. If you don't know, there's seven games in the World Series, so it's pretty much best four out of seven. We lost the first four games, so we were crushed.

This time, we put up a fight. It was a hell of a season.

It was incredible. There were a few games during the series that went on for FOUR HOURS. The whole team worked like a machine and that last game when they finally won...

Y'all... People went insane. Academy opened at 11:45 that night right after they won to start selling merchandise and I saw snaps of a lines three people deep wrapping all around the shopping strip. Downtown Houston lit up. Cars were driving all over the roads with Astros flags hanging out of the windows like a parade. Fireworks went off all over. The ballpark, Minute Maid, was packed even for their away games. Fans went there to watch the games on the jumbo screens with other fans, screaming and crying.

It was a huge pick me up for the whole city. As everyone knows, three months ago, Hurricane Harvey hit and destroyed many parts of Houston and the surrounding areas. People watched this series in their damaged houses, taking a break from the insurance adjusters, cheering for something for the first time in months.

Today, they had a parade downtown. There were more than 2 MILLION people there. I would have loved to have been there, but I had to work. Houston ISD CANCELLED SCHOOL because 1,000 teachers called out. 1,000. Fucking. Teachers. And, the best part yet, November 3rd is now Astros Day. Like, it has been signed and passed by our governor. It is a city-wide holiday.

At work today, everyone was in shirts and hats. So much orange. Everyone was in good spirits. Everyone was getting along. There's just this great sense of camaraderie. It's so beautiful.

Yesterday I went to Dick's Sporting Goods, and like, I knew that it was gonna be pretty crazy, but it was like Black Friday in there. I waited in line for an hour and forty-five minutes to buy four shirts, but like... I still did it. 'Cause I was the only one in my family who could and I was just that pumped. Now, Dick's is a huge store and it was MAYHEM. Employees were wheeling out racks of shirts to restock the tables and people were grabbing shirts off of those racks. One employee told me that there were three trucks outside full of merchandise just waiting to be unloaded. I paid $127 for four shirts. And another $150 on a Springer jersey ('cause that's my baby) and like... I don't even feel bad about dropping that kind of cash. And so many people have dropped so much more. I saw people in line with, like, twenty shirts to buy.

It's just wild and amazing and I love it. There isn't a single city like Houston, man. Not one. And I'm not saying that as in, "Houston is the best. Everywhere else sucks." I'm just saying that we are one of a kind.

HOUSTON PRIDE, BABY. OCTOBER PROVEN. EARNED HISTORY.
November 4th, 2017 at 05:52am