Losing My Financial Aid.

So, a little while back, I admitted to something horrible that happened to me a few months back, regarding why I haven't gone back to college. I wrote about it in this blog, and to make the story short and sweet, I went from Dean's List from fall 2016 semester, to failing all my classes and losing my scholarship in the spring 2017 semester. The reason that all of that happened was because of my failing mental health and the fact that I didn't really have much of a support system.

In all honesty, I could have tried harder, but I was living in an abusive environment, my relationship was getting to the point that it was unhealthy, and my psychiatrist cancelled five appointments on me in the span of four months. I begged and pleaded to let me see another psychiatrist and they did give me another appointment with a new one before she moved on to another county, but in the same business.

So, this leads me into what this blog is about...

Yesterday, in the mail I received a letter from my future, former college. In this letter, it stated that I had lost any chance at financial aid until I could prove that I could keep my grades up, but here's the kicker... They said that because of my progress in the fall 2017 semester, that was the reason why I wasn't eligible for financial aid.

Now, I haven't gone back to school since that spring 2017 semester, so why is it saying that because of my grades, I lost my financial aid. I did not apply for classes for the fall semester.

I did not go back because of my mental health, and the fact that I had lost my job and was dealing with some personal stuff. When I failed the spring semester though, I got a letter stating that I was on academic probation, which I understand. Now, they're saying that I'm not on academic probation anymore because my grades were low for the fall 2017 semester.

I don't understand why this happened, or how this happened, but I know I will be making a phone call in a few days to the financial aid office to see why this happened. I've explained to advisers in the past that I would not be returning to this particular school due to the fact that the school is really small and they don't have much to offer. I plan on enrolling in a school in the fall of 2018 in a different city, which has more than 1000 more students in enrollment than my current school.

If anyone has an understanding of the US version of federal financial aid, someone please help me out here. I'm really upset by this and I know I won't be getting an explanation until the holidays are over.

Thank you all for reading.

Kayla V
December 24th, 2017 at 05:18pm