2017 Reflections + 2018 Resolutions

(Usually I'd do this on the 31st / 1st, but I didn't want to put this off in case I end up being busy (for reference, it's the 30th in Australia)).

I'm sure everyone says this but it really feels like this year has gone by so quickly. I don't think there's been a time this year where I've been like, 'wow, this year is going by real slowly'. 2017 has been a really fun year, for sure. I started my Masters in Criminology and Justice and passed all my classes, (including a Research / Stats class that seems to be my weakness but man am I relieved I passed that), moved work locations (they opened up a new store) and got promoted to 3rd in charge. As someone who's always been resistant to any sort of leadership role, it turns out I actually really enjoy bossing people around, LOL. I got a temp full time job in government, which in turn signed me up to a job agency so fingers crossed they contact me in Jan to help me look for employment in the government sector. I ditched my long time friends (Steph and Emma, if you've read my past blogs on them or seen them in my profile, lol) due to a long time coming toxicity that had built up between us all. Since they've been out of my life, I'm happy to report that I haven't found myself missing them at all and honestly, my life is so much more lowkey and drama free without them, which I've been loving.

I also got an old friend back (she broke up with her shitty boyfriend for me yay), went to a shit ton of concerts this year (9, including 1 festival and 1 super concert ft old school rnb acts), joined a gym in early Dec and though it's only been a month, I've already seen mad change in my bod. It probably helps too that I rarely eat when I'm bored now: increased hours at work means less time at home to boredom eat. Since the store at my work is new, I've met a ton of new people and I'm pleased I've been able to befriend all of them, which is neat. One of them even invited me to his NYE BBQ he's having with a few mates (some which I work with) which is neat, so hopefully that follows through.

As for the boy count, AHHH is all I have to say. I kissed a lot of boys this year (17, lmfao ofc). Some were guys that I dated before they fizzled out, some were drunken mistakes, one came very close to regret (I don’t have regrets so for this to happen, it was a big deal), but most, if not all of them, were fun. I've also been super confident in myself more this year, but that's more due to my own growth in building up my self-esteem through exercise, and whatever other coping mechanisms I used to feel like my fab self.

As for writing, I’ve been very out of touch with that so I’m hoping that in 2018, I get back into it again. I miss being creative and working towards something that wasn’t work, school or gym related. I’m planning to incorporate that into my 2018 Resolutions, but for now I want to reflect on my 2017 Goals and see if I actually completed any.

2017 GOALS

1. Get that hot bod.
Lmao, I did not complete this. I did go to gym consistently this year, but there was a time during my temp full time job that I rarely went and as a result, gained weight. It took me a couple of months to force myself to work out again, but now that I’ve joined a gym and got myself a PT, it’ll be a lot easier to actually get this.

2. Continue to be your badass, confident ass self and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
I definitely feel like I accomplished this but I feel like with a guy or two I definitely could have stepped up my game, and I let myself essentially be drawn in by the dick. I have my smart goggles on now, though. There is great dick everywhere.

3. Get an entry level or full time job.
I got a temp job and am slowly looking for a FT job, does that count?

4. When you go out to eat, focus on eating more salads and eating less desserts. Swap out a hot chocolate for a green tea. Chicken salads are good to give you protein. Beef helps reduce period pains. Treat your body right.
This sort of worked. I did order more green tea, but as a result I became mildly lactose intolerant so you know, that’s great. I think lately (let’s forget about the chocolate I ate today) I’ve been treating my body a lot better than I have in previous years or even months.

5. No more makeup buys unless it’s a refill. Seriously, Alex. You do not need another nude, I promise.
Lmao, no. With that being said, I have definitely become more conscious on what I spend.

6. Drink 1.5L of water (at least) per day.

7. If you get a journal, for god’s sake actually post or write something daily. It’s so fun to read back on old blogs so just do it, okay!

Lmao, didn’t do either of these.

8. Make 3 new friends.
I feel like I definitely achieved this. Sort of. I got an old friend back that I hadn’t been friends with for at least 2 years, connected with a friend I used to work with and now her and I have become super close. I met a girl at a festival and we’re facebook friends and honestly if I wasn’t so awkward, I’d have probably met up with her by now and actually made an effort to be friends. I’ve invited her out once but she couldn’t go, so I’m hoping next time I go out it actually happens. Otherwise, I’m pretty friendly with everyone at work so hopefully that develops further than just a work friendship.
9. Wear what you want. Don’t define yourself as one style and then feel you can’t wear anything outside of that because it’s not your aesthetic.
Yeah look I give way less of a fuck this year than I have in previous years, so I defs achieved this.

10. Stop interrupting people when they talk. Get over your aversion to dating same race guys. Stop lying to your mother, goddamnit. And talk to your friends, okay? They’re always there for you, whether you want to talk to them or not (most likely not because you don’t like to be a burden) but 100% if you need something they will listen. So utilise them. OH. AND GO TO MORE CONCERTS THEY FEED YOUR SOUL AND GIVE YOU LIFE.
Lmao I love how this is like 15 resolutions in one. Let’s go through the ones I did accomplish: stop lying to my mum and going to more concerts. The others, eh.

2018 RESOLUTIONS:
1. Work out at least 4 times a week.
2. Learn how to cook and make 3 meals (level of difficulty is up to you).
3. Minimise makeup and wardrobe and sell whatever you don’t use / wear.
4. Get out of retail.
5. Raise your standards. You know what you mean by this.
6. Use the planner you bought for yourself.
7. Track your expenses and stick to it.
8. Deep clean your room at least twice a year.
9. Distinctions and higher. Step up your game.
10. Write a novel. Finish it, preferably, but if you don’t, at least plan out each chapter.

I feel the ongoing theme in my resolutions is basically to pick up my game and become an improved version of myself, but honestly with how I’ve been feeling in life lately, I see no reason why I can’t accomplish any of this. I definitely have the intelligence and capabilities to do it all, I just don’t commit to my potential. 2017 was a year of perfecting the self-esteem and personal growth (perhaps not perfecting the personal growth, but I’ve come so damn far than how I used to be) and 2018 will be the year where I just generally kick ass.

What are everyone else’s resolutions? Hope everyone has a happy and safe new year xx
December 30th, 2017 at 12:32pm