Attica Riots

I've been missing Mibba, but because I'm (currently) no longer posting fan fic and instead concentrating on writing an original novel, I haven't had much to post.

So I thought "Maybe I'll blog!". But couldn't really think of what I wanted to talk about. Until now. And because they just recently released their first record I'm going to talk about a local band I've liked for literal years now. Because that's what a supportive fan does, right? And it's mindboggling to me that more people don't know about them yet. The band is FINALLY starting to tour outside of Winnipeg (currently on tour with 'Big Wreck'. A few dates in the U.S. left), so if you haven't heard their name yet, you might start to. Beat everyone to the punch:

Attica Riots.

Story time:

Anyone who grew up in Winnipeg has probably heard of Inward Eye. This high energy rock band that I've seen compared to the likes of 'The Clash' or 'Green Day' and consisted of three brothers: Dave (lead vocals and bass), Kyle (guitar and vocals) and Anders (drums). Known for such things as: opening for 'The Who', and playing at the closing of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver - "Whoooaaaaa, Vancooouuuverrrrr". Ring any bells? The first time I saw them live they were opening for 'Finger Eleven' after 'Sum 41' backed out due to Deryck hurting his back...I think... I remember scrambling to listen to some of their tunes on Myspace before the show, because I'm someone who has far more fun if I can sing along to the opening bands too (and I'm a firm believer of watching opening bands). My friend and I were disappointed that we weren't going to get to see 'Sum 41', but honestly, in the long run, I'm far more grateful that I got to see 'Inward Eye'. The guys came onstage, and I'm pretty sure won the entire crowd over instantly when Dave stepped up to the mic and said: "Sorry we're not Sum 41", and then proceeded, along with his brothers, in putting on what I recall as being an epic set.

And so there I was. A fan.

Ok, cool. That was 2007. It's 2018 now and I just turned 28 years old. The guys are in their thirties and there has been changes in the band's name(s), sound and lineup. Probably pretty ridiculous considering I live in the same city and these guys are ALWAYS playing shows, but I've only seen them a handful of times and I have never talked to any of them (mainly because I'm an awkward social duck and make more sense in writing) in person. So here's what I do know:

- 'Inward Eye' became something toxic to the guys after their first and only record was released. I don't know the full story, but it had something to do with how they were managed, etc. So they changed it up. Totally respectable. What good is a band if they can't have creative freedom?

- They changed their name to You Know I Know briefly and released a few songs that can be found on YouTube. Gawd bless YouTube.

- The Erickson brothers and their friend Bobby Desjarlais played/play frequently under the name 'Cash Grab'. They cover old stuff, new stuff, and stuff that isn't even theirs (covers) but sounds better when they play it? Personal opinion.

After playing live with Bobby for a while Attica Riots became a thing. Dave often appears onstage at live events, but as far I know the band's official lineup consists of Bobby, Kyle and Anders. The band's sound has a more new wave influence to it and the lyrics are more mature and often self-deprecating. Sad lyrics, happy melodies. Much like Paramore's 'After Laughter' record. Bobby brought the lyrics, and Kyle and Anders brought the musical element (from what I gather in interviews, at least). It works seamlessly. So you're going to be sad, but you're going to smile and dance through it (and with Bobby's enigmatic dance moves as lead singer, and Kyle and Anders' enthusiastic playing how couldn't you?).

I wanted to talk about this band/these musicians because I consider them to be one of my top 5 favourites. They're up there with Simple Plan, My Chemical Romance and Queen. Not because they're local, but because I genuinely LOVE their music. Being local is just bonus points. I often listened to/listen to Inward Eye/You Know I Know/Attica Riots when writing one of my original characters: Jesse. Without songs like 'Day After Day', 'Wasteland', 'Take Some Leave Some' or 'Love Sunshine and Hysteria' he would have turned out much, much differently. And I'm so proud of the skateboarding, punk with a heart of gold character Jesse turned out to be.

Attica Riot's first record was released January 19th and is called "Love Sunshine and Hysteria". I've got it on repeat. You should jump on that bandwagon. And if they're coming to your city, here's some solid advice: ATTEND! I don't often make promises, but I promise you'll have fun!

Here. You can:

Facebook 'em
Tweet 'em
Insta 'em
Watch 'em
See 'em live and in person
January 29th, 2018 at 12:27am