30 Day Anime Blog Challenge: Day One

Music: Daydream || J-Hope repeat for days, yassssssssssssssss.
Just updated: Paris in the Rain
Getting ready to: Make some food, because it's about that time.


_____

Alright, Mibba. I'ma try my hand at this challenge thing, thanks to Hina. We'll see how well I stay on track with it, knowing me, but anywho.

Image

Here is the list, for anyone else who would want to join in.

_____

Day One: Very First Anime You Watched.

Now, I had seen bits and pieces of lots of the standard animes growing up, but I was also brought up in a really strict household, religious and otherwise, so I really didn't get into anime until the end of highschool, my senior year, when I had the ability to explore it for myself, so I'm more going off of the first anime I got into from that period, rather than what I guess would be the technical answer for this, but who's nitpicking?

The first anime I ever watched was:

Durarara!!
God, I love the OP so much. *sheds a tear*

This is a twisted story… a story of twisted love.

Image
Image

I had posted about this in the blog I did a week or so ago that listed my favorite anime characters, but Celty Sturluson (and my cousin) are responsible for really getting me into anime. We were over my aunt and uncle's house for some kind of holiday or family function, I can't really remember which, and I had wandered downstairs to see what my cousin was doing, and he was in his room watching this show, and I saw very little of it because he turned it off since I "wasn't allowed to watch anime", but what I did see was a really badass lady in a black outfit with no head.

Image

I was instantly in love with the concept, no matter how briefly I had been exposed to it, and as soon as we got home and "went to bed", I Googled anime with headless biker and from there I fell down the rabbit hole.

Image

The story never fails to pull me in, whether I'm watching it or reading it, and I ALWAYS glean something new from it, even if it's something small.

I have watched it so many times, both in English and in Japanese, and each time it feels like coming home. The characters are just so good, even the ones I dislike, I have to give them credit for being so captivating.

Image

Image

Image

And the characters I do love a lot? They feel like friends, honestly.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

OKAY I LOVE MOST OF THEM BUT I'M GONNA STOP THE GIFs THERE.

That's probably going to sound insane, but I found DRRR!! at a really low point in my life, and it is my go-to when I'm feeling bad.

It taught me that some monsters are human and some humans are monstrous. That there's no such thing as a "normal" person, and that's okay. That you can make your own family when yours sucks and no one can invalidate that.

I'm waxing philosophical here, lemme stop before I go any further.

Image

______

So yeah. Durarara!! It was my first, my true anime love, I'll probably watch it while eating my last meals as I'm dying. It's a part of me, as silly as that sounds.

Image

Honorable mention (because I got into the manga about the time I finished DRRR!!) goes to:

Wolf's Rain
*holds up lighter and sways long while singing through my tears*

Image

Image

Such a good, heartwrenching story. I really need to go back and reread/rewatch it.

_____

Anyway, that's all I have. I'm going to go make food now, and maybe update something else.

I hope you all are doing lovely, because you deserve it!
March 2nd, 2018 at 12:40am