Why Would You Want to Pierce Your Nose?

So, here’s a story. When I was younger I wanted to pierce my tongue. Split my tongue, actually. Like a snake. I had seen it done on TV - probably on some TLC show. TLC used to have the best weird stuff. I lived for shows like ‘Miami Ink’ and ‘My Strange Addiction’.

Well I didn’t split or pierce my tongue. I decided that I probably wouldn’t be able to handle eating food with a tongue piercing. Too paranoid that I’d somehow look like a dog that just ate peanut butter, all licking their chops and making saliva slapping noises. Because I’m awkward like that.

But I did love the idea of piercing my nose. And that stuck with me since I was sixteen years old. I’m a twenty-eight year old woman now and lately I’ve been trying to accomplish things I’ve been wanting to do/try. This site for example. Getting my driver’s license was another. Turning my fan fiction into an original novel is in the works. Or what this blog is about – piercing my nose. I’m a believer that you’re never too old to try new things, but I’m also someone who could easily put things off till she’s on her deathbed and still saying: “Eh, maybe tomorrow.”

I put off piercing my nose for a few reasons – mostly based on what others might think about it. A bit absurd, right? It’s 2018, who cares about tattoos and piercings anymore? People, apparently. People I tend to clash with personality-wise, but people none the less. I’m in the education field and I know a lot of teachers and specialists with nose piercings. Even tongue piercings. Some have dozens of visible tattoos ranging from superheroes to flowers. Yet there are still individuals out there who associate tattoos and piercings with someone who isn’t good at their job. “Not professional” they’ll say.

On the last day before spring break I asked one of my colleagues about their nose piercing in the staff room, which of course got our whole table group involved in the conversation. Surprisingly, many of them were not in favour of tattoos or piercings. My favourite laughable moment was when someone said they associated tattoos with prison marks, but that this person was from a “different era” and “things have changed”.

To be perfectly clear, your age doesn’t reflect how you need to feel about something. There are plenty of older people in the world who adore piercings and tattoos. To also be perfectly clear, no one was knocking the fact that I was wanting to pierce my nose. They are all wonderful people, we just happen to have different opinions.

“Why would you want to pierce your nose?” was a question I was asked.

It made me pause, because while I know I really loved the look of nose piercings I never thought of why it would mean anything to me. But as it turns out, it does mean something to me.

I don’t really know when it started but I’ve had a fascination with punk culture for a long time. I’m probably the least “punk” person ever in terms of what most would classify “punk” as, but I value and appreciate people who identify as punk. Artistically, musically, stylistically. All of it. And I think that’s because I view punk as people paving their own way in the world; rule breakers in the best way. I’ve never viewed punks as being bad people. In fact, I’ve always seen punks as the heroes. Punk – the way I see it at least, is a definition for all misfits (pun intended). The solidarity of people just wanting to be their unique selves without discrimination. That’s why a lot of punk/punk rock/pop punk, etc. music lovers will tell you there’s no place like a live concert. Yeah, the music is great, but punk/punk rock/pop punk shows are often a place where everyone is welcome. If you attend enough local gigs it starts to feel a bit like home.

My best friend and I used to attend local gigs quite a bit, and while we never really talked to any of the other usual’s there, it did - for me at least - feel like a camaraderie of sorts. People there with preppy clothes, fishnet stockings, or pajamas. Green hair, full body tattoos, or pierced eyebrows, it didn’t matter so long as you were a good person. Isn’t that what really matters?

So for me, I think having my nose pierced allows me to feel just a bit more connected to a culture I have a lot of love and respect for. Plus it looks great, so there’s that too.

I’m still a bit sceptical going back to work with a fresh nose piercing. Some will judge silently and it does shake up my nerves a little bit for future interviews. But it’s not punk if you aren’t going against the grain just a tad, right?

You can’t appease everyone.

You can visit my site and see my new piercing here.
April 2nd, 2018 at 12:52am