Figuring out What to Write

We've all been in that spot where we decide to be a writer without realizing how broad that statement really is. Writing is a freedom that we only taste if we are writing what we are truly meant to write. Some people figure it out, and some think they have until they start to feel empty again. You see, the thing with us writers is that we write in search of truth and fulfillment. This we will never find, because we will never have explored all of the avenues of the author. Just as our bodies need food and water, our minds need to create words. We will always thirst for more.
But how can we be sure that we're starting in the right place? Well, as it turns out, we've been looking at it all wrong. Instead of looking forward to what we will be writing, let's look behind us at what we've already written. Whether it's on paper or not, we all have a story. What does yours say?
Write something that could change someone's mind, motivate or excite. If your parents had read it when you were young, would that have changed anything? No one has unique feelings. Others have and will go through something similar as you have. Is there anything you wish had been different? Change it.
Maybe you wished you had more fantasy novels to read when you were younger. So? Write them.
Maybe you longed for a good parenting book when you had your first child. So? Write one.
You get my point: write what you wish you had read. Write what you want to change.
Write now.
Don't let yourself be stuck in a paradox of "what should I write?" Write to change something, anything, and you will be successful.
April 15th, 2018 at 11:49pm