A Relational Approach to Spending Time with God!

The next exercise of the soul, we shall look at is seeking solitude. Extroverts who draw their energy from being with people will find this exercise difficult. However, even if you are an extrovert, I would nevertheless urge you to consider its benefits.

James Russell Lowell says this about solitude....
If the chosen soul could never be alone
In deep minded silence open doored to God
No greatness ever had been dreamed or done
The noose of full grown souls is solitude.

What does seeking solitude entail? It involves temporarily withdrawing from activity and finding a quiet or private place in order to rest, relax and give oneself to spiritual purposes. It is this giving of oneself to spiritual purposes that differs from seeking seclusion or having a day out or going on holiday.

Our Lord often sought solitude. In the passage before us today we find him involved in a tremendous time of ministry. He healed various kinds of sickness and cast out demons from many people.

Crowds flocked to him for spiritual and physical help. But after all this activity we read: Jesus went out to a solitude place. At that moment it was more important to discipline himself to be alone than to continue healing the sick and casting out demons.

Involvement with people and ministering to others is an important task, but so is solitude. The art is to know which of the two has priority at the moment. Successful marriages are as diverse as the variety of snowflakes.

Athletes marry artistic types and social butterfly marry the shy and retiring type. The obvious differences can be a source of conflict. Yet with a growing understanding of oneself and one’s spouse each can learn to adapt to the others idiosyncrasies for the long haul.

Our walk with God is much like a spiritual marriage. Jesus Christ the bridegroom has sought us out for an eternal relationship. Because each of us has a different temperament uses a different thought process and is at a different level of spiritual maturity each possesses a unique relationship with Christ.

Jesus our good shepherd is well aware of our individuality and wants to give us just what we need to grow in our walk with him. As we study the Bible, we learn more about his amazing personal qualities and compassion for us.

And in response to his overtures of love we will want to find time to spend with him. The same fellowship seeking God who walked in the cool of the day with Adam and Eve is reaching out to each of us today.

But when should we try to connect with him? Many people emphasize the importance of starting the day with devotions. I once heard someone say that the guiding code for his devotional life was “No bible no breakfast”

But depending on your metabolism and current lifestyle you may be more mentally alert at midday or even late at night. Everyone is different. The bible encourages meeting with God during any one of those times.

David wrote, “O God, you are my God early will I seek you” (Ps. 63:1) Nehemiah the great reformer reads the law from morning to midday (Neh. 8:3) David mentioned his anticipation to meditate on God’s word during night watches (Ps. 119:148)

And the first psalm mentioned in the Old Testament refers to the blessed man whose delight in the law of the Lord and in his law he meditates day and night (Ps. 1:2) The bible provides wonderful freedom about when to meet with God.

The central issue is not what your metabolism is like, but rather what time of the day works best for you and your schedule. In my current situation I find morning to be a good time. Often I will read a passage in the morning to reflect on it during the day and review it again in the evening.

It helps to have some biblical thought throughout the day. What matters most of all is to establish a regular time of the day when God can speak to you through his word and you can respond to him in prayer.

Once you have chosen a time it’s important to maintain discipline in keeping your appointments with God.
July 17th, 2018 at 11:09am