Encountering Jesus in Real Life Problems!

John Wesley had two simple tests for any teaching he originated and both required a positive response. His first test was this... was what he crafted found in the bible? The second test for the sermons he preached was this... was what he preached based on experience?

Clearly the cross the ultimate expression of the spirit of self sacrifice is in the bible but is it based on reality as well? I believe when we look clearly at life we see evidence of the spirit of self sacrifice everywhere.

Firemen will rush into a burning building and risk their very lives in order to save others. A not so good swimmer will plunge into the sea to save a stranger in distress and endanger his own life because something deep within him prompts him to do so.

What is this something? It is in my view the law of self sacrifice which runs like a scarlet thread through history. When Jesus upon the cross some in the crowd called out: He saved others but he can’t save himself!

They could not see that he was saving others and therefore he could not save himself. The law I am talking about that of self sacrifice seems to be found not only in the text of scriptures but in the very fabric of life.

Those who save others cannot save themselves terrible pain suffering and even death. Where does this desire to save others at the cost of one’s own life come from? It is perhaps explainable by the fact that we are made in the image of God.

A God who gives himself up for others? Have you ever poured a lot of spiritual attention into your QT only to leave it behind to face the problems of the day in your own strength? This is called compartmentalizing or confining your spiritual life to a certain segment of the day.

But Jesus never intended for us to go it alone. He is eager to help us solve life’s problems. Let’s take a look at how he did this on the road to Emmaus. That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus about seven miles from Jerusalem.

And talking with each other about all these things that had happened. While they were talking and discussing together Jesus himself drew near and went with them. But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. (Luke 24:13-16)

Little is known about the two who walked the well worn path from Jerusalem to the village of Emmaus. But the bible indicates that they were troubled. They had an internal conflict that was based on a disappointing experience.

And the problem was being discussed by these two friends. Human beings are often known for their problem solving skills. It was in this context of human need that Jesus appeared to them as they were walking.

The reason why Jesus really does want to intrude in our human circumstances and carry on a dialogue with us as we journey along life’s road is that he wants to be our companion not just someone who walks with us as we talked to him as a last result.
July 27th, 2018 at 09:56am