Unexpected NaNoWriMo 2018

So, it's currently almost 1:30AM and I need to wake up in 6 hours for work, so I'm going to try and make this short and sweet. I hadn't thought I was going to do NaNoWriMo this year because I was so focused on writing The Land of Infinite Whispers. Well, I've kind of lost sight of where I want to go with it; my outline isn't good and I don't really know where to go. I just feel like there's a lot to change before I can push forward--I'm already 32,000 words in, so I don't want to push anymore just to have to go back and rewrite a big chunk of it, you know?

So I think I'm gonna put it on hold for now. I'm going to continue to submit it to my critique group every rotation to see if they can help me brainstorm and work out the kinks, and I'll add on to it as we go then. But since I'm not actively working on TLIW, that means I have more time to focus on another project.

That brings me to On the Surface. Some of you may remember that I'd posted this originally... what? Two years ago? I started it, got a few chapters in, and never finished. Again: a big part of that was because I didn't know where I wanted to go. I honestly loved the characters--see this 2-year-old blog about it--and the plot. Although I know dystopian fiction is super over saturated right now.

As of right now, I think I'm going to keep the premise of the floating city and the far future. I don't think I'll keep the "fight the government!" theme though. I think that I'll go in a little bit of a different route. I feel like I should probably break some dystopian rules, considering the fact every dystopian novel is people vs government.

Anyways, yeah. I honestly didn't know I would be doing NaNo this year but I think I am! I just gotta come up with a solid outline and plot for this and then I'll be on my way. Hopefully I'll win this year, too, for the eighth time!

Anyway, here's a cover I whipped up. It's not my favorite but it goes with my layout so ::shrug:

Image
October 10th, 2018 at 07:33am