Black Lagoon (Anime) Review (No Spoilers)

Black Lagoon was truly an amazing anime. It is definitely a rater R anime. There is a lot of swearing violence and blood in the show, but it adds to a sense of freedom in the writing. The anime was released in 2006 and lasted for 24 episodes so the series is not too long. However, there is a third season called Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail which lasted 5 episodes and each episode is about 35 minutes from what I've read. I've never seen the third season so I won't go too much into it.

Black Lagoon is about a small team of mercenaries hired to do dangerous missions from corrupt high ranking organizations. They are also involved with smuggling, assassinations, trafficking and escorting missions. The main character was a white collar individual living a simple life before getting mixed up in the mercenary lifestyle.

The characters of Black lagoon were all so amazing and the development was amazing as well, especially between Rock and Revi. The chemistry between the characters is very comedic but also very dark as well, especially when the main characters are laughing and killing bad guys one second, then having to turn on each other and fight to the death the next. The show does not sugarcoat anything and pushes boundaries in many areas. Black Lagoon is anti-hero, so the main characters are considered the bad guys. The show evolves with its character as it goes on and it gets better and better as it goes on. The first 4 maybe 5 episodes are really slow but once you get passed those it takes off from there.

The manga went on hiatus but should start again by next year from what I understand. The anime stopped a ways into the manga, but there is still more manga material out there. It is unknown if they'll make a season 4 anime after 12 years but it is possible. But don't worry about being disappointed about the ending because it won't leave hanging.

Hope you enjoy this review. I'll give Black Lagoon 3.5 out of 5.

There aren't very many bad things I can say about it other than the slowness of the first few episodes and the depiction of religious elements may be offensive to some people. There is a black main character also and there are a lot of Neo-Nazi conflict in the beginning of the show so some racial slurs are thrown in there as well.
October 30th, 2018 at 06:47pm