Perception vs Perspective

Perception vs Perspective

They say perception is reality. Perception is defined as the way a person, place or thing makes an impression on you. Now perception is usually interpreted through your senses. You can formulate so many different impressions about something or someone based on the way it stimulates your senses. For example, if a woman walks by and she smells nice, one may assume that she’s a person who takes care of herself, she’s a nice person, and she cares about how people view her. Now as for a woman who walks by and smells bad, the opposite impression is made. One may assume she is dirty, doesn’t take care of herself, and is just an awful person. What we may fail to realize in both scenarios is what led up to the way both of these women smelled. This is because we haven’t looked at it from our perspective, or their perspective. The woman that smelled nice may have had more time to prepare for her day, she might have just recently bought the fragrance and couldn’t wait to try it or her significant other may have (if she has one). As for the woman who smelled bad, she may have just left from the gym and didn’t have time to clean herself up because of her schedule. It could be her natural body scent. The smell may not even that bad to others as it is to you because of peoples different perspectives on smell. What I’m getting at is the sometimes we as humans may be too quick to judge certain things. I agree that perception is reality, but perception is only reality in that moment and it is forever changing; perception changes once perspective is taken into account. You may feel totally different about something based on your current mood, current circumstances, and other factors. We should be more open to adapting to situations instead of forming temporary judgments about them. Perspective though, can be biased. Perspective is your viewpoint of the world based on how we were raised, and/or our life experiences. So with that, we still must be careful about how we judge things because we are only judging them based off of what we know instead of for what it really is. We can’t go around being prideful thinking that we have it all figured out because we’ve experienced somethings others may have not. We must remember that there is so much to the world that we may never know, and with that in mind we should be open, humble, and receptive to all moments and all aspects that life brings our way; good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant, and flawed or flawless.
November 24th, 2018 at 05:39am