Why Do so Many Secular People Celebrate Christmas?

I don't understand this at all.

My family, who has never been religious, even celebrates Christmas! Is the cultural pressure that strong that even secular individuals feel like they have to observe this day? I've heard of even some Jewish people who feel pressured to conform. I don't understand this at all.

Some of my family has always been more invested in Christmas than others, and every year the side that didn't care for the holiday always felt that they needed to suck it up for the people that did.
But here's the thing, the Christmas loving members of my family are also secular! One is even a staunch Atheist! How is that possible?
My mom is Pagan, and this year we actually decided to finally forgo Christmas and celebrate the Winter Solstice.
However, I was just talking to her this morning and she feels like she needs to bake a cake or something "Because it's Christmas"
... So?
We don't feel obligated to light a menorah, do we? Why feel obligated to observe this when you have no stake in it?

I am an Atheist, and I think most of us are pretty used to not being represented by now. But how uncomfortable is it for foreigners with a different religion to come to the US and feel such pressure to observe another religion's holy day?
I don't know, but the image of a family moving to America and slowly being pressured to "Americanize" is just kind of heartbreaking.

Obviously, we all have the right to observe any day we like, and secular or nonsecular, our motivation for celebrating Christmas is ultimately up to us. I'm honestly not trying to get down on people for celebrating, I'm just in awe of the power of suggestion surrounding this day.

P.S.
I am also aware that not all immigrants make attempts to Americanize, and many people continue to follow their own religion without Christain influence.
December 25th, 2018 at 08:20pm