Predicament

aka: I don't understand modern dating cues

Alright, let me just dive right in on this.

So my boyfriend and I have been dating for over a year now. For about 2 years he lived (he just moved!) in an apartment/house that was owned by a friend of his (who is a she) and for basically a year and a half they've been roommates and for basically a year I was their roommate too lol.

Let's call the woman Winnie. So Winnie and my boyfriend and I kind of like made a home and family and throughout the year my boyfriend and I basically vetted through some guys she was dating/talking to/ whatever.

And so, a few months ago she reconnects with an old lover from years ago and they're dating and we became a quad. Going out together, playing games, living together, etc etc. Let's call Winnie's boyfriend Damien.

And now, as I stated above, my boyfriend JUST moved out like a week ago and I'm currently in my home city for the holidays/ college winter break.

And something has been happening...

My boyfriend, while physically young, is mentally an old man. He does not do social media, he pretty much does the bare minimum by only having Facebook. I don't wanna say he doesn't "get" the cues of social media, but I feel like it does take some explaining for him to understand the context of certain social cues, especially when it applies to online stuff.

I, on the other hand, am on basically every social media outlet. Tumblr. Instagram. Everything but twitter (technically). And I have both Winnie and Damien on my Instagram.

Damien, he's a cool guy. I like him for the most part as a person. As my boyfriend and I started to hang out with Winnie and Damien as a couple, my boyfriend has taken a strong liking to Damien and really started to value his opinion.

Anyway, whatever whatever.

The thing is...recently Damien has been liking my photos on Instagram.

And initially, it's like "so, what?" who gives a shit? 2 things:

1. I haven't posted a new photo on my Instagram since April 2018
2. He's only liking selfies between the hours of midnight to almost 3 AM.

Initially, it was like one photo here and there. And I was like...okay. I just liked something that was on your feed/watched your story (people don't like photos for people who watch their story, right?) so I just assumed it was like a like back or whatever.

But then he started liking photos when he didn't post anything.

Like last night at like 2:45 in the morning (I was up cause I slept earlier in the day) he liked like 2 selfies of me and this has been going on and off for about 1-2 weeks now. I'm not exactly sure what this cue is, but I just assumed it was an awfully timed like-back situation so I went and liked like 10 photos on his page hoping that would cool off his attention-whoring.

Then he liked another selfie.

And it's like, I don't wanna like "snitch" and he just goes like "I'm nocturnal, I was just looking through who was liking my photos and liking back" and have egg on my face and be the one that makes it awkward.

But who the fuck likes other girls photos at like 2 in the morning?
And I checked and...who the fuck doesn't follow their girlfriend back on Instagram if they're an active user?
And I tried to scroll really far and see if he was actively just liking ANYONE else's photos but I couldn't find anything.

Idk. It makes me uncomfortable cause it kind of has been this socialized thing that if someone is liking OLD photos (like 2+ years old) at like bumfuck 2 in the morning...they're tryna fuck lol. They're sending out the bat-sign for you to slide into the DMs.

I don't wanna be the person that makes nothing out of something, but I also don't want it to get like FAR to risk my friendship with Winnie or stir shit up.

Am I thinking too much into this?

I told myself that the next time he does it and it's like super late I'm just gonna screenshot it and be like "How many photos do you want me to like back? What's good? What's going on? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!?"

Then if it's like "I'm tryna fuck" I'm SNITCHING.

What do you guys think? Am I being overdramatic or should this be something of cocern?

See ya in the next blog.
January 4th, 2019 at 10:02pm