Facing Autism at 17 Years Old.

As a girl with Autism and high hopes for the future, life can sometimes be discouraging. I try my best to socialize and keep up with my studies, but sometimes my brain just tends to get upset with me for not doing the things it's interested in. There have been many times I've struggled to talk about a professional subject because my mind is constantly diverting to my obsessions such as "How to train your Dragon" and "Miraculous Ladybug".

I may be 17 years of age, but unfortunately growing up with Autism has made it hard to socialize with those in my age group. I find it hard to relate to other older teenagers, and have trouble keeping eye contact. What's it with people thinking it's 'normal' to stare into someone's eyeballs while they're speaking anyways? I say looking at something you're interested in is easier.

I find myself bonding with people younger than me easier. Sometimes kids ages 10-13 are the easiest. This makes it hard to succeed because either the kid's parents find me a total creep, or I just can't find the courage within myself to speak properly with other adults. This makes it nearly impossible for me to stand up for myself when I'm being bullied in a job or school environment, hence the reason I was home schooled most of my life.

I am currently about to be getting my equivalence diploma and start college in August of this year (2019). Unfortunately this is proving to be much of a struggle, as it's hard for me to do something as simple as talk to the adults at the college on the phone to schedule a date without stuttering. My mother and grandmother help me with a lot, but I know in the future I am going to have to do things on my own. The topic is terrifying.

I may have high hopes for the future, and believe I can face the struggles along the way, but as a girl with Autism I am going to have to work harder than my average age group. Hope is strong and confidence is key. No one can hold me, or you as a reader down as long as we keep striving to thrive like everyone else!
January 8th, 2019 at 06:25am