Stories That Pertain to World Building?

Welp, I pretty much dropped off the face of Mibba (and the internet as a whole). Well, I don't really have an excuse except that I got sidetracked by family and video games... Yeahhh... Anyway, I've been doing a bit of thinking I guess you can say? Like I've been thinking about my writing and how I've been practically inactive on Mibba as of late. And what did I come up with? Nothing except for a stronger resolve to get Mibba active (and to get my self active on Mibba) and to try writing more frequently. I mean I've been doing that to an extent. Like I've been slowly chipping away at getting an update done (I've been working on an update for Silence because that's what the writing side of my brain is geared towards atm) every day and I've been discussing ideas with VixL when they come to me (and let me just say she's been very helpful and awesome! You're awesome, Vix, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!).

But yeah so here's where I kinda ran into a snag or thought of something or whatever (Words are failing me, at least I can't think of how to get my words out properly. LOL DAMN IT BRAIN!). Anyone remember me saying a bunch of times or many times over the years that I want to write an original story (that isn't a one-shot) and finish it? Well, I still want to do that. I think my brain's been spending too much time in fanfiction writing that I'm actually ready to plot out an actual story. I mean I've had several original stories plotted out in the past and the main one that's stuck with me was this fantasy novel or rather two fantasy ideas (both coincide with each and do take place in the same "universe"). Both have been with me since I was 13 and sadly I haven't worked on them as much as I wanted to.

And what are the two ideas? One of them is Dragon Throne and the other is a story/idea titled Star Mist (Which is a temporary title!). Obviously from the link to Dragon Throne you guys can see what that's about but Star Mist is supposed to be about a knight, who either runs away with the princess of his kingdom to help her escape/avoid an arranged marriage or it would where the said knight would go after his princess she disappears during a rites of passage ceremony. I don't have that much of a plot for the second idea and tbh, I was thinking of writing out stuff about the world to do some world building I guess? Because usually when I start an original story, I don't think anything of the world, just of the characters and their immediate situation and then... I think that's where I lose momentum/inspiration.

I heard that authors like J.R.R(?) Tolkien wrote a lot of one-shot/short stories about their fictional worlds before writing the main event (ie Bilbo having to fight off Smaug with the Dwarves and Frodo taking the ring to Mordor). But yeah, so I thought I might do that. It might be messy but idk, I'll just start somewhere it gets me.

Well, see you all later.
February 17th, 2019 at 12:09am