Politics?

So I just read a blog post by divine; and it was so good! Like, really got me thinking and it reminded me of when I used to live in New York.

I had an interesting talk with some people I'd met through my cousin, about America and the violent outbreaks and the issues with race. Mainly discussing the marches going on and protests for our rights.

It was my cousin, my mom, my older sister, my cousin's cousin, and her cousin's cousin, plus another one of their cousins, I guess?

So we were having a really dope discussion about politics like the president, the shootings, the recent marches that happened in washington (or wherever) and how the color of a persons skin still affect people today.

So my cousin's cousin's cousin is a young woman (around my age, but older) said she wouldn't do anything to get involved because she didn't want anything to happen to her. She commented that she would just stay at home and do what she needed to to live a comfortable and safe life. And I get that, I totally get that.

Yet, I don't agree with it. I think it also ties into what divine; was saying about people only looking out for themselves. How long are we going to continue only looking out for ourselves? How long will we actually LAST by just taking care of ourselves. And what about generations to come?

We look around at each other, constantly judging based on our outer appearances from a single perspective.

How long can we go on being judgmental fear mongers? This country wouldn't be where it is today if people didn't risk their lives and stand up for what's fair and just.

When I think about putting myself out there, hell yeah, it's scary. However, I know I want to have kids and I want my kids to be able to live in a world where they can be themselves and not worry about how they look or who they love or what they believe in. So for the sake of my brothers and sisters here in America, and my children and their future generations, I'm going to do what I can to better this country one person at a time, starting with a friendly smile.

Honestly, it doesn't take much.
March 22nd, 2019 at 10:04pm