Health Scare Talk.

Okay so about 4 months ago I posted a blog talking about where I was. This blog talks about my many ER visits and hospital stay number one. Yes, I had numerous hospital stays. So in this blog I'll talk about my health scare and talk about how I'm feeling now. So there's my trigger warning. This may be TMI but who cares.

So in the last blog I mentioned I had I fistula in my bladder. This fistula was a connection between my bladder and bowels which meant that I was literally pissing out shit. I know so fucking gross and trust me, it's worst than it sounds. So with fecal matter in my urine, I was in a constant state of an UTI caused by E. Coli. And while it's unusual to see fecal matter in your urine, I grew used to it. I even knew when I was passing fecal matter through my urine. I grew used to constantly having to go to the bathroom and used to crying myself to sleep.

My first ER visit was around Thanksgiving and they sent me home with two weeks of antibiotics that help with ruptured appendix. I was fine on the antibiotics. But once I started my period and antibiotics ended, everything came back. So I went to the ER and was admitted again. This time around, I was put on a drain and a serious amount of antibiotics. They literally consulted with an infectious disease doctor to find out which antibiotics I should be on orally.

So my drain was put in and I was able to go home on I believe a Friday. Sunday came around and my drain stopped draining. I no output what so ever. The Christmas Eve, I went to the ER again. This time was because I felt weak and shaking. This started while talking to the department that put in the drain. They told me not having out put was normal. But once he heard me say I was shaky, he told me to go to the ER.

On my way to the ER, I had my first ever anxiety attack. I've never had one before this whole thing started. But I couldn't breathe, my heart was racing so fast and I felt like I was basically dying. I get to the triage and my heart rate was 140. Normally it should be around 60 to 100. So they hooked me up to a heart monitor in case I had heart problems but even the RN was convinced it was anxiety. And that's what my ER doctor thought to. So he prescribed me Hydroxyzine, which is an antihistamine that treats anxiety as well as allergies. That seemed to help greatly, my heart rate dropped to about 90 before I left. But it went up whenever I talked about the drain and what I was going through. They told me to come back Wednesday and they'll look out the drain and replace it. So that's what I did. But between the ER visit and the check up, I had a couple more anxiety attacks.

So when they originally placed the drain, they had me in "twilight" sleep. So I wasn't completely out, just out enough for them to do this 45 minute procedure. I remember very little of what happened. I thought they'd do that for the drain change...Nope. I was completely awake for it and completely uncomfortable. They only used lidocaine to numb me in the area about the drain. But I felt everything else.

I was able to go back to work the next day. So I worked that day and the day after, on strict restrictions, but had the next three days off. New Years Day, I end up going back to the ER in pain. They admitted me and I was in there for about a week on antibiotics and pain meds. They didn't send me home with anything when I got out. No pain meds or even antibiotics. About 3 days later I was back in the ER. They gave me morphine, Butorphanol and percoset for pain meds before sending me home. Next day, back in the ER. This time they admitted me and my surgeon (mentioned in previous blog) talked surgery.

The reason behind why it took so many trips to the ER for surgery was because of the surgeon. He didn't want me to go home with a colostomy bag. My insides were so wrecked that he was afraid he'd have to take more than needed or something like that. I completely understood and was grateful for him looking out for me, despite me being in constant pain.

I was admitted Friday and surgery was on Tuesday. Sunday, I willingly went on a full liquid diet -which wasn't bad. The clear liquid diet and colon prep I had to do Monday was hell on earth. And now I'll never be able to look out orange Gatorade the same again.

Surgery went well. I didn't have to have a colostomy bag. But I woke up in such pain. Not from the 8-9 inch insision on my stomach but the urinary cathery I had to have. So they pumped me up with more morphine (and I want to say fentanyl.) My respiration rate was so low. And if they added any more drugs to me, I would have to be paddled. So scary.

I was allowed morphine every 2 hours, which I took. I had major problems with my endo tube because it was kinked so I got that removed early. I also had my urinary cath pulled early and found out why I was in so much pain every time I moved. They over inflated it. Typically they will inflate it to 10cc mine was 45cc. They also had me do a cystograph before they removed and let me tell you, that fucking hurt. They were filling my freshly operated bladder with contrast.

Oh yea, I had some of my bladder, intestines and colon removed.

So after about a week and a half of being in the hospital I was released. I missed the Cher concert I was going to because of this surgery but oh well. I was finally free of pain.

My RNs were amazing and most of my CNAs were amazing. I got really attached to my one CNA, she was amazing. Words cannot describe how much I adored her. Same with my RNs. They kept me stable and put up with my bitching and crying in pain.

My first follow up appointment with my surgeon I found out what was truly the cause of all of this... My surgeon always suspected my appendix was the cause and he was right. My appendix did rupture. According to pathology, my appendix didn't exist anymore. My first question to my surgeon was "will this happen to me again" and this was about the fistula. Bladder fistulas typically happen when there is an operation on the bowels (which I had done). With confidence, he told me no.

So now I'm done with my follow ups with him and now I just have to deal with my urologist (which is another blog in itself). I feel amazing. I've been back to work for almost 2 months and I have no restrictions any more. So I'm back to working my ass off once again.

It's finally over with. I'm going to be in talks with a lawyer because the first ER should have caught this. Every doctor I've talked to agrees. They could have caught this if they did bloodwork and a CT scan. They just didn't do any of that. My first ER doctor even mentioned bloodwork if the infection didn't clear up.

I'm looking forward now. I survived my biggest nightmare and I have the scars to prove it. And I know this blog is a little all over the place but that's how my mind is when it comes to this. I still get a little panicky when it comes to talking about this. Even in the hospital they gave me anti anxiety meds. I was on Xanax and they even gave me Ativan. The amount of drugs I was on in that week and a half was insane. And they wonder how people get addicted to pain meds.

I've been wanting to write this blog for awhile so here it is in all it's jumbled up mess.
April 8th, 2019 at 02:22am