#33 - Beginner's Reflection(0) - Introduction

Hi, everyone.

How's your weekend been so far? Hope it's been great.

Today, I am going to start a new series called "Beginner's Reflection", which is inspired by my own experience of making my last series, "Signs You Are Going to Be a Great Writer".

Last month, I spent most of my writing time on that "Signs" series, I enjoyed it and learned so much from the process of doing it. It was not perfect but it's my first try and attempt to write something serious, before that, I had never written anything I would call serious. The whole process was tough and overwhelming, so many difficulties, but I survived, barely, Yeah! It's a good sign that I should be continuing this journey and doing more, and I agree.

So, this new series, "Beginner's Reflection", about what? What does "beginner" mean? And "reflection" mean? And so many other questions, hmm, I would say I am not sure how to answer some of those questions yet, but at least I have a major goal for the series, which is to build or form a clear whole picture of writing world in my mind, okeey, a little confusing hah? Yeah, maybe a little bit. Let me make it simpler, I would imagine myself as a five years old child, who knows nothing about writing and has never written anything in my life, and I want to become the best I can be as a writer, what should I know? What should I do? That is it, that is the biggest goal of the series, which is to find the answers for these questions.

It scared me, even thinking about it made me trembled, because it's so huge and so introspective , I had never done anything like this before, even though I had read so many insightful and obscure books. I couldn't even say I have a very clear picture of my current profession, which I've been doing for more than five years, but as you know I am a adventurous and curious person, I couldn't resist this opportunity. I said to myself, why not? What would I lose? Don't I want to doing better in writing? The answer was obvious and firm, why not!? I couldn't find a reason to refuse this proposal. Actually, I think it would be so fun and very valuable for myself and some other people.

Although I was not too afraid and believed the worth, but it's still a very big and complex subject to talk about. After several days struggling, I have found some principles that would make the process easier.

First of all, I would write down what my psyche telles me. It's really important, I can't write down what other people think and feel, can I? And it is easier and more natural for me to examine and check my own mind and feelings, and trust me, I have many. So what would my psyche tell me? Imagine what would be going on in your head while reading some fiction, would you say "what is that?", "who did this?", "this story is so bad, what was the author thinking?", "this scene is brilliant, why am I feeling great while reading it?", etc. I am not going to fake anything, I want my feelings and thoughts be as natural and genuine as possible, if I can't make sure something, I will just say it. If I don't like something, I will tell the truth and give out some of my reasons, I am not only going to be true to myself, but also to the reader.

Second, question-driven. I am a curious person, very curious, and I have million questions in my mind like right now, I don't know why, maybe I am just ignorant and silly, need a curious and cautious mind to survive. Anyways, if there is something I don't understand I'd just ask questions, such as "Why can't I write like this author?", "Why are some writings better than others?", "Does there exist a perfect story?" etc. I love this way of writing and thinking, it would open so many new doors and enter so many new areas.

Third, interactive. As I mentioned above, this series would be big and I cannot complete it all by myself, there are topics I need to talk to writers directly, I need the answers only they can give, such as reviews of their works or ask them to give tips, tricks and advice to beginners like myself, and their writing journey which would inspire people.

Fourth, light-hearted. This series should be very easy to comprehend, fun and relaxing. It's not a scientific research or news report, it's a person asking questions about the art of literature, just like I am having a conversation with my friend on a very casual occasion, such as at a bar. Being funny might be a little challenge for me, I am not a serious person but far from a comedian, maybe I should watch some comedies or talk shows before I write.

Fifth, a helpful guide. Even though I want this series be funny and casual, but also I want it to be very valuable and useful for myself and other people, to help us become better in writing. The main goal is to find rules and principles that great writers have been following and obeying, by doing what great writings are doing, we can improve our writing skills faster and be more efficient.

Sixth, objective. In the most part, this series is talking about my own personal experience and reflection, but to make it more valuable and practical for as many people as possible, I am going to make it in a more scientific way, I will make myself like a five-years old child, innocent and exploratory, all I will do is to write true about what I feel and think, and at the same time, distinguish my own preference from others, for example, I has a bias in favour of comedy.

Seventh, write regularly and frequently. It is very crucial not just to this series but to any project I would make in the future. If I don't have an accident and I am still kicking, I would post a episode every single day. If I do not post something, I would still check on Mibba to see the comments and messages, and hang out with other brilliant writers, ask them questions, which would gain a lot of support and encouragement, it's why I love Mibba, where you can revive your writing spirit. Thanks Mibba!

Alright, there are still so much things to say in this introduction, but I don't want to make it too long that would tire you out.

All in all, this series would be a very great jounery, probably would take a little bit longer than I would usually do, I don't konw how long, maybe two months, but at least, I know what I would be working on in June and July, these two months are packed and it is OKEY!

You guys are so talented and inspiring, and work so hard that I feel shame of myself every time when I am about to quit.

As always, I am open to any comment and message, and if you want to talk with someone about writing or anything else, just let you know I am available.

Thanks again for your time and hope you all the best!

Be well and happy writing!

^
June 9th, 2019 at 08:58am