Is Full Sail University Worth It?

In short? No. At least not for me.

Back in November of 2018, I enrolled in Full Sail University. I enrolled in the online program Creative Writing for Entertainment after talking to an admissions counselor about what I was wanting out of my degree. Now, from what the admission's counselor was saying, this was my ideal degree. However, after having been enrolled for nearly a year, I do feel a bit misled and here's why. I enrolled because I wanted to improve my writing skills and be a professional writer, before going to this college I had no teaching because I never went to high school and I never went to middle school. I was homeschooled and just took the GED in March of 2018. Safe to say that my writing was behind a little and I was hoping that I would learn helpful skills about grammar and editing that I could use moving forward. However, this is not the case.

Yes, we were graded on these things, but there were no classes that focused on this or helped improve this. In fact, the creative writing degree barely focuses on anything other than writing Flash Fiction and Screenwriting. This is not what I signed up for. The admissions counselor had told me that I would be learning to improve my writing and would get to write several different genres. Also, not true. We were given prompts and told to write, and as the months went on we began focusing only on screenwriting. My last four classes have ALL been screenwriting. This is something I didn't like and if I had been told that I would be focusing heavily on these things I would have never enrolled in Full Sail.

None of this would have been a problem if not for the fact that I was misled by the counselor and the tuition, which is 57k USD for anyone wondering, would put me in debt for a long time over something that I wasn't happy with and will more than likely never use. I do think my skills have gotten better, although not perfect, and I do think that I learned some important things, but the cost of the program wasn't something that I was willing to continue. I am dropping out at the end of this semester, August 5th, and while I do not regret the time I spent in Full Sail, I cannot justify taking on the debt that this degree would be for little to no reward for myself.

Make sure if you're thinking about it, then ask questions. I was naive and didn't ask nearly as many questions as I should have or even research as much as I should have.
August 4th, 2019 at 03:22pm