#86 - Beginner's Reflection(52) - How to Describe a Scene

Hi, everyone!

Great day!

Just imagine that you are in a park and sitting on a bench, then you receive a call from one of your friends, she wants to know where you are and how you feel, you give some answers, at the end, your friend asks you what the park looks like and what you see, what would you say?

In our daily lives, it is not unusual that someone would ask us about what we see, some of the questions would be:

. How does she/he look like?

. Was that place beautiful?

. What did you see?

...

Even you are not a writer, the ability to describe what you see clearly and precisely is very crucial.

As writers, some of our jobs is to tell the reader what was happening, who and what were the participants, and where the event was happening, and so on. We create a world and drag the reader into the world, and then show the reader what is happening in this world.

The answer to the question "How to describe a scene?" would be divided into two parts:

1. Participants.

2. Actions.

When someone asks us what we see, we can just list the participants in the scene, such as people, objects and other things. For example:

A woman.

A man.

Two little girls.

A dog.

A house.

A truck.

Flowers.

Usually we use adjectives to make descriptions more clear and easier to picture in mind, we can polish the above list:

A mid-age woman, a little overweight, gold hair, black T-shirt and jeans.

A mid-age man, tall and strong, black hair, wearing a white shirt and a blue tie, black trousers.

Two little girls, age 5 and 8, one is in a yellow skirt and another white, one has short dark hair and one long gold hair.

A big brown french dog.

A gray three-floors house, with a black roof.

...

Other than the participants in a scene, we have to answer the question "What is happening?" in that scene to complement. For example:

The white skirt girl is observing the flowers, she smells them and examines the inside structures and then asks her parents about the flowers.

Another girl is playing with the brown dog, she throws a small ball away and the dog runs to it and carries back the ball to the girl, the girl pattes the head of the dog and says "Good job!".

The mother is preparing the meal, she and her husband are moving the table to a suitable place, and then she places plates, forks and knives on the table, and goes back to the gray house to bring more foods.

...

As you can see, a scene consists of people, objects and other participants. These participants are interacting with each other to construct a dynamic scene.

Alright, that's all for now and hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for your time and let's go out to observe!

Be obsessed and be dedicated!

^
August 9th, 2019 at 06:48am