#89 - Beginner's Reflection(53) - News Reports

Hi, everyone!

A new week and a new journey!

Do you care what is happening in the world?

Most people do, they care about celebrities, movies, fashion, politics, sports and many others.

Where do you get those information from? Do you still read newspapers?

Before Internet, people got news from two main sources: newspapers and television.

Since Internet bloomed across the global, most people, especially young people, got their news from websites, you read on their computers and mobile phones.

Anyways, people still are desirous to know what is happening and how it would affect their lives.

As writers, having some knowledge of journalism is very essential. Today, let's have our eyes on news and seek answers for some of very important questions related to it.

So, what is news?

When people say "good news" or "what's the news?" or "did you watch the news?", what do they mean by "news"?

You can give the definition of news in terms of two questions:

1. What just happened?

2. What has been happening?

The most important feature of a piece of news is its happening or starting from a short time ago. Things happened weeks ago, even months ago, can barely considered as news.

In most cases, pieces on a newspaper or a website are called "news reports". A news report is including three parts:

1. News. In this part, the writer answer the following questions:

. When did this event happen?

. Where did this event happen?

. What happened?

. Who or/and what involved?

2. Analysis of the news. The writer not just tell the news, she would give more information and her or others' reflection on the news, she would answer the following questions:

. Why did it happen? Who or/and what caused it?

. Who or/and what would be affected? Why? How?

. What could we learn from it?

3. Its relevancy. This part usually is implicit, which answers the questions:

. Why should you care?

. What is in it that is important for you to know?

There are many other things we should check on, in the future, I will analyze some real news reports to learn more about news.

Thanks for your time and let's read more news reports!

Be informed and be enlightened!

^
August 12th, 2019 at 06:52am