#104 - Technology(2) - Web Server(2) - Installation(I)

Hi, everyone!

Happy Tuesday!

Let's continue my journey on web server.

When I first meet a new technology, usually I know little or nothing about it. Instinctively, I would examine it, test it, and read instructions and tutorials of it. And I also would ask some deep and serious questions about it and then try my best to find the answers, I want to become an expert of it. Ultimately, I want to get the most out of it to make life better.

Now, web server is a new piece of technology for me and it is very crucial to be knowledgeable of it.

After I've reflected on web server in the last chapter, it's time to get my hands dirty. So where should I start?

Like any other software, before we can use it as an application on our operating systems, we have to install it. As beginners, we must learn the conception of installation on a system, we need to answer the following questions:

. What is installation?

. Why do we need it?

. How do we do it?

Let's see the first question: what is installation?

A real-life example would help, for example, we want a washer-dryer, what should we do? Typically, four steps we would take:

1. Go to a washer-dryer store and pick one.

2. Bring the washer-dryer just bought home.

3. Place it somewhere in the house.

4. Make it work as intended.

Now, we can answer the question of "what is installation?":

Installation is a process of making a thing work as it is intended.

For softwares, installation is a process of making them work on a operating system. Before installed, softwares are called packages. A package is a collection of files, it can't do anything. After installed, softwares are called applications. An application consists of a main executable file and other related files, by runing the main executable file, the application do its job.

The whole process of installation of a software is not complex, but varies among operating systems. In the next chapter, I will go through all the steps to install a specific version of web server on a specific version of operating system.

Thanks for reading and let's study harder!

Be playful and be an explorer!

^
August 27th, 2019 at 06:39am