help save a life

writing might not be going well for a while.

if you don’t know, i live in texas. texas is experiencing unprecedented weather—our infrastructure was not built for this. our roads, piping, and power grid were built for warm weather, including excessive heat. of course, it doesn’t help that those in power have neglected to listen to scientific experts.

as it is, my family is considered “lucky” in that we have electricity, heating, and water to boil (because the water treatment plant had a power outage, so the water is unsafe to drink from the tap). however, it doesn’t change the fact there are many who aren’t as lucky.

there are millions who are homeless, low-income, and vulnerable. these communities will die without help. without a support net to aid them. please, if you can, donate to organisations founded to house, feed, and care for those who are affected most.

do not think this is a joke. there are people freezing to death because of this weather. the streets and their own homes. children are being hospitalised for carbon monoxide poisoning as parents struggle to keep their families warm. this is a tragedy, and those who can, should do their best to help.

i’ve seen so many fucking jokes about how texas deserves this for “voting red”. people trivialising it as “oh, you just don’t know how to drive in the snow”. and it isn’t that. i grew up in the midwest, where temperatures regularly dropped to -16f in the winter. northern states are prepared for this. they have the proper safeguards for this weather.

texas does not. texas hasn’t seen weather like this since the 1930s, if i recall correctly. we’re dying in droves because of this. millions of us won’t survive without help.

i know of a few organisations at the moment who are helping to house and feed the vulnerable. you can donate anything to the following (that i know of; i’m sure there are more).

Dallas: @ feedthepeopledallas (venmo)

Houston: @ mutualaidhou (venmo)

Austin: @ austinmutualhotels / @ austinmutualaidhotels (venmos)

North Texas Food Bank: @ntfb (on twitter)

Image


even if you can't donate yourself, please spread the word—you can literally save a life.
February 19th, 2021 at 07:40pm