Is Anyone Out There

So when I wrote my last entry I hadn't realized that finding blog posts (and everything else) is pretty much impossible now. Does anyone make blogs anymore?

Anyone?

Image

Whelp. I went through all the forums from like two years ago when the code got all messed up and... going on two years later and it's still not fixed. This isn't promising. Like, at all. I guess Dujo really has left us.

I was going to start posting my HP fic on here again, but now... I mean, is there even a point? Will anyone but my friends - who haven't been active in a few days - see it?

I may finally make the jump over to AO3 or Wattpad. I have accounts on those platforms, I've just never posted anything on them. There's so much about Mibba, old Mibba, that I like and love. Now it's just... a ghost town.

Anyway.

Yesterday I was thinking about why I don't write anymore. I don't write nearly as much as I used to. I think because... well, I'm Catholic now. Most of what I wrote before I converted was basically porn with plot and I don't feel comfortable writing it anymore. (I mean, I was already sort of starting to phase out of it. Either I wrote stuff that was all smut, or had very little.) And now, because I don't write smut, my brain is just... well, what do I write?

It's all very confusing.

And then there's my HP fic, which I have so many conflicted feelings on. Basically, when I started writing it I wanted it to include a lot of... really dark elements, and kind of explore the parts of the world that JK Rowling had avoided talking about - mainly dark magic, and a lot of the Slytherin characters she wrote off as being bullies are a lot more complicated than that. I mean, yes, they're still bullies. But they have other defining things about them, but part of my opinion on that is mostly fandom stuff.

Like, okay. I'mma talk about Pansy Parkinson for a second.

Image

Maybe it's just because I've read almost exclusively Draco Malfoy fandom, but in every single one Pansy is written to be wayyyyyy worse than she is in the books. Like, she's already kind of insufferable in the books but part of that is just the narrator. (Harry has his own prejudices which are actually just the author's.) But in fandom, she's just... I've never liked how she was written, it always came off as a wanna-be Regina George. Like, a really bad attempt at Regina George, almost exactly like the Regina George character in the God-awful Mean Girls 2.

Actually, if I had to pick another fictional character to compare what I think Pansy is like to, it'd be Sketch from Skins.

Image

Actually, yeah. This is more or less how I'm writing her. Except Pansy also has two older sisters, who also have flower names, and one if them is actually Regina George. So. I also have it that her parents run a greenhouse and that's why the flower names.

And, yeah, I've more or less done something similar for all of the other Slytherin characters. Mostly because I really dislike the "Slytherin bad"/poor character building take that Rowling did for... all of them? Like most of the Slytherin characters all have one or two traits, and that's it.

Pansy's a bully and that's her character.

Crabbe and Goyle are dumb bullies/lackies that eat a lot and that's their characters.

Umbridge is a representation of what we hate about the education system and evil incarnate and that's her character. (I mean, this is... I guess better. But also not.)

Snape is accidentally the most complicated character and it doesn't make sense.

Hermione Grange is the smart, know-it-all and that's her character.

I'm sorry, this turned into a rant about how bad Rowling is at characterization.

I'm still thinking about changing my username. Kinda hate padme. Maybe I'll go back to perfect disaster, I really liked that one, there's a reason it was my username for like... five years.

I'mma get back to... well, either writing or I'll go play some Assassin's Creed.

TTFN,
Emma
February 12th, 2022 at 06:08pm