Rashid’s Rankings: The 30 Greatest Horror Films (#14-11)

14: Poltergeist (1982)
Five-year-old Carol Anne begins receiving messages from ghosts via static on the television screen in the family living room. Strange occurrences happen within the house (earthquake, forks bending by themselves, objects moving on their own, etc). “Poltergeist” starts off innocent enough, seemingly just another ‘family values’ movie. Though it soon becomes of the most frightening films ever made.

13: John Carpenter’s The Thing (1982)
John Carpenter’s version of this 1951 sci-fi is proof that remakes can possibly be better than the original. A research crew is out in Antarctica, where they discover an alien is among them that has the ability to morph perfectly into any organic life form. The movie has some of the best special effects and gore I’ve ever seen before. Still looks amazing after 25 years.

12: Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn (1987)
“Evil Dead II” took everything that was great about the original and improved upon it. The special effects are better, the acting is better, the plot is better. This film is just as hilarious as it is horrific. It would easily rank among the 10 best comedies I’ve ever seen. The movie has many classic horror scenes, such as the possessed hand scene, “laughing stock”, and the first appearance of the Boom Stick!

11: Frankenstein (1931)
“Frankenstein” took the general idea from Mary Shelley’s 1818 novel but made it into something completely different. Dr. Henry Frankenstein and his assistant create their own human body using parts they found from many different places. The result was the horrific creature would be known as The Creature/The Monster (or sadly, “Frankenstein” by the misinformed). The sets look fantastic and the acting is quite impressive (especially that of Boris Karloff). The film also ranks high on my list for not making a crazed monster that kills by will. “The Monster” only had good intentions, and was arguably pure at heart.
October 27th, 2007 at 10:31pm