Non-Spooky Ramblings

Back again. Woot. Hi.

Yesterday was my birthday, so happy birthday to me.

Image

The last few times I tried to get on my browser told me the site wasn't safe. Which really bummed me out because I just finished my new signature. So. I tried again randomly for no real reason the other day and I was able to get through, but low key I was a little spooked so I immediately jumped right off. Now I'm on vacation - because of my birthday - and I've cleaned, attempted to make cookies with dairy/soy free margin, write, and... well, now I'm writing this because I still want to write but also I've hit a wall and I just want to blog.

I got on the forums and saw all of the spam and just... it broke my heart. Like, Dujo. Why, man?

I'm guessing he's just given up on this site. Sadly.

I've got an AO3 account and maybe I'll start posting my stuff there, if I ever start posting my fics again. I've gone back and forth on turning my HP fic into an original piece like, probably a dozen times. I've started working on it, and then change my mind because I like it as a fanfic, but also, most of it is original so I might as well just cut the HP characters and change the location and make it an original... but also, it's just easier to keep it as a fanfic.

The hiccup is the world building. I love it, but also I hate doing it. I'm much better at character writing, probably because I've pretty much always written fanfiction, so my world building skills... kinda suck. That's the issue. And there's something comforting about writing fanfiction.

Oh. Dairy and soy free margin. So, I'm allergic to dairy, soy, and chocolate (or cocoa, I think). Like, actually allergic. I'm not gonna die if I eat it - well, not immediately, but it's probably slowly killing me - but my esophagus gets inflamed. I love baking though, and if you know anything about desserts... dairy is a pretty crucial ingredient for a lot of baked goods. And for most dairy-free butter alternatives... it's all soy based. Which, my soy allergy is worse than my dairy allergy, so that won't work. But I found a dairy AND soy free margin. It's mostly oil based, so I got it and figured I could maybe also use it as an alternative oil and, well.

No, not really.

I tried it with bacon, and I don't know if I used to much or... you just shouldn't use butter when frying bacon. It just made the bacon really soft and really hard to cook... for me because I like crispy bacon.

But I finally got all of the ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies. Except I just used the Nestle chocolate chips - because the soy/dairy free alternative chocolate chips are insanely expensive. Like, $7+ a bag. But, I've had them before, and they taste exactly the same as the Nestle ones. Anyway. I mixed the dough together and my husband and I agreed that the taste wasn't too different, it tasted exactly the same as chocolate chip cookie dough made with real butter.

The actual cookies turned out differently. They didn't taste bad, but... they didn't taste 100% right either. Like, they were missing something. It was almost... too sweet too. So I only made like, ten cookies. I saved the dough, and my husband and I agreed we'll just eat the raw cookie dough over the next couple of days - because honestly it wasn't too bad.

I should get back to writing... something besides a blog I don't think anyone will read.

TTFN,
Emma

Image
October 31st, 2022 at 09:20pm