Wonder what this is about.

There she stands, alone in the corner of the room, waiting for the time to come. She’s been waiting all night for the slightest hint that you’re going to talk to her, even notice her, other than running away. That’s what hurts the most. She’s been trying to talk to you for months on end, but has almost given up hope because you won’t give her a chance. You see her, you run away; it’s as simple as that. She wouldn’t ever say something bad to you, so why is hurt all that you expect? Or pretend to expect? She doesn’t even know anymore.

You said that you were going to talk to her, and her mind instantly filled with thoughts of being your friend again. Of those times, back in summer, when you and her were inseparable. So much has gotten between you two now, and she has no idea what happened.

It was the second week of school, and she approached you like she had every other day. She waved, and you didn’t respond. Puzzled, she poked you, talked to you, and tried endless ways to get your attention, but of course, you didn’t give in. She had done something wrong, and, whether she knew it or not, you weren’t so willing to forgive.
You didn’t sit with her during classes, and you avoided eye contact in the hallways. You got new friends, friends that you had abandoned long ago, but you just took them back again, like she had never existed.
She was completely baffled by your behavior, not knowing what to expect next. Was it just a phase? Or was this forever? She attempted at conversation day after day, but you didn’t give in. You’re stubborn when you want to be.

It’s been months now. She’s all but given up on ever being your friend again, but hope still remains in the back of her mind. Afterall, loosing a friend is definately not good for anyone.

Why, you ask? No one knows. Not even she herself knows the answer to this question. Once a friend, always a friend is what she lives by. She doesn’t let go that easily. It is difficult for her to forget the one who she spent so many endless summer days with. It’s hard when almost every everyday object had its own inside joke. She’d look at a lawn chair and think of you, not even meaning to.

So, who is this girl? Not many people know. She’s strange and inconsiderate, impolite and not the most pleasant person to be stuck with. Tonight, at this party, she’s wearing a plaid skirt and knee-high socks that are decorated in skulls. Her feet, as usual, Converse. Her favorite band’s shirt completes the look. A black ring around each of her eyes don’t compliment her the best, but she’s all for that.

What’s she doing at this party? Well, you said you’d talk to her, so she figured it’d be worth going. She stalks you in a way, praying that you don’t think too much of it; she wants to talk to you, after all. This was the promise you made her, to talk. But she took it as more, a peace-offering.

She sits down on the couch carefully, one person away from you. Sitting right next to you would be too risky, she thinks. The person sitting next to her gets up, and she begins to quiver. One swift movement takes place, and suddenly you are right beside her. She waits for you to speak, hoping it’s something good.

“Hi.” You sound overly confident, and she scrunches down in her seat.
“Hello,” the girl next to you utters, trying not to sound as afraid as she feels; she dreads what’s coming next.

“I had something to say to you,” The words just roll off your tongue, “it was an apology of some sort..” the girl beside you perked up at this statement, but then your eyes became cold. “Oh, oh well,” you say, and get up before another word can be exchanged. She puts her heads in her hands, trying to comprehend what just happened. Maybe you didn’t come to try and make friends; perhaps it was to break it off the friendship forever. She sighed, and got up to try and find you again. She wanted to talk to you. If it was her that had to apologize, it would be done in a heartbeat, but she just didn’t understand what was going on. She moped around for much more of the party, wondering ways to get your attention so you wouldn't walk out again. She was desperate to make this work; loosing friends was failure to her.

This all worked out in the end, to everyone’s surprise. Especially hers. You, in the back of your mind, I know that she didn’t mean much to you. But her friendship means the world to her, but no one knows why.
October 30th, 2007 at 08:41am