Something About Politics

Since the next Presidential Election is just a year away, I thought I'd make something of my own thoughts known. No, I won't be eligible to vote in the 2008 election. I turn 18 RIGHT AFTER the election. Lovely, isn't it? Anyway, I just thought I'd make my own thoughts on this whole presidency thing very clear.

With the way things are, it doesn't matter what color or gender our president is. Right now, I know it seems that the entire Campaign is gonna be: "It's time for a woman president!" and "It's time for a black president!" Guess what? That stuff doesn't matter. These kinds of issues will only stop when we stop making such a big deal over it. T_T

Also, I really feel that our President needs to a real person. A person who's "been there." Someone who knows enough about politics to be educated, but isn't so freaking corrupted. At this point in time, I hardly feel like I can trust what our leaders are saying. We're being told that they're bringing troops out of Iraq at the same time that they send more in. umm...misinformed, much? I want a President that knows what it's like to have shit happen. They're aware of what's going on in even the most obscures area of the country. They should think about EVERYONE that they're going to be looming over. There's 50 states. Not 48 and 2 attachments. Hawaii and Alaska should be considered, too. I never hear anything about those two states, in all honesty. And they need to REALLY consider the stuff they're signing. I don't want a president who's gonna be all: "Oh, what's that? A piece of paper? Oh, here. Let me add my signature for you!" or anything like that. I want a President who can get down and dirty. They know what it's like to be struggling, they know what it's like to lose a family member or friend to war, and they understand the needs of everyone.

And as such, I don't think anybody should be able to jump up and say: "Oh, hey! That's me!" I read or heard somewhere that the President should be the person that's brought in kicking and screaming to Office, because that's the person that's gonna get the job done. 'Cause I mean, let's face it. The people who WANT to be President tend to be the people that make us all these promises that they can't keep. The person who's brought in kicking and screaming is eventually gonna sit down and say: "Hey. I can do this. The entire country put their trust in me and believed in me to take care of them, even when I felt I couldn't." Instead, we get all these campaigns of endless namecalling, and they sit in the office saying: "haha...I won! I bet I really got him with the smelly comments!"

Nextly (...that's definitely not a word), we need a President who can take care of what needs to be taken care of first before passing all these laws and such that have nothing to do with anything. At this moment, that means pulling us out of Iraq. The Iraq War is not doing anything for us. Our credibility as a nation has dropped amongst the other nations, our currency's worth has gone way down, I can assure you our National Debt rising with our gas prices. And quite frankly, I don't wanna be paying 5 dollars per gallon for gas. Obviously, it's not like everything will be fixed in an instant. Yeah, it'd be pretty sweet if it was, but that's fairly impossible. The point is, we need to start pulling our troops out of Iraq. I think they've made it clear they don't want our "help." Next, the President should put together a plan to get the National Debt paid off. From what I understand, President Bill Clinton actually had a good plan set up that would've had it paid off in 10 years (by now, that'd just be a couple years from now). Then we had to go and get pissed because he cheated on his wife. Quite frankly, I think that issue was stupid. Even the President is going to make mistakes. He's human, too. He's NOT going to be perfect. Shit. Happens. Anyway, after setting up a good way of paying off the debt (yes, this MAY mean higher taxes. But think about how much better off we'd be in the end. How cool would it be to live in a debt-free country???), the President should focus less on trying to fight other countries' fights for them and fix domestic issues first. Don't get me wrong, I'm ALL for helping out places like Darfur and such. But this is something I learned in a Peer Helping class a few years ago: "You're not fit to help others if you can't help yourself." Pretty much, if you're kinda dysfunctional, it'd be harder to help someone else out. Here we are with all of our own domestic problems, and then we're butting our noses in other people's stuff (which, in the case of Iraq, they DON'T WANT).

I don't believe in trying to find a "Perfect" president. Just a real person who knows what it's like to be at the bottom. Who hasn't forgotten about the "little people." I just want a President that can get things done in a good, honest manner.
November 3rd, 2007 at 02:55am