You a little bit older, not really any more mature and not much else...

Remember when your birthday meant you couldn't sleep the night before and you would wake up at six in the morning to run down to your parents room to get presents? It was the best day of the year- you got new stuff, your favourite dinner and your siblings had to be nice to you for the whole day, sometimes even a party with all your friends and you would play games like pass the parcel and musical chairs giggling like crazy.

I used to love my birthday. Now it’s like just another day, it’s not important anymore.

Granted change is good, I like the fact that my ‘rents ask me what I would like for my birthday. That way the fake happiness and internal disappointment is avoided. But today I got picked up from work and my dad was in Big W (chain department store in Australia) and in his hand was Transformers, he didn’t even attempt to hide it. Then later he asked me to hold it while he looked at something, he asked me to hold my own birthday present.

Last year I got a phone and The Little Mermaid, both things I asked for. The phone was given to me the night before my birthday, now yeah that’s cool but it was a birthday present what was the point? The next morning my mum didn’t even get up to say happy birthday before I got on the bus.

It’s lost it’s special ness, to me it just seems like another ordinary day now.
November 18th, 2007 at 09:16am