Band Saved Your Life?

I think not. Now, hear me out here. I have a theory!

Bands do NOT save your life; you do. Let me explain now... You're depressed. Everyone hates you, or whatever nonsense you're beleiving that makes you want to end it all. Your life supposedly sucks, and you can't go on, blah, blah, blah... so you pop in a CD. YOU pop in a CD. And the lyrics of that CD say that other people feel that way too. And suddenly, you don't want to die. So, answer me this: Did you make the decision to live, or did the band?

YOU did. You clung to your instinct to live. You just needed something to help you find it. Because bands don't save lives! They are there to INSPIRE. They inspire you to write a song! They inspire you to save YOUR OWN LIFE. They don't run in and take the razor blade from your hand or rush you to the hospital after you've ODed. They pull out the little thoughts in your brain that have been there all along. But they shouldn't get all the credit.

Let me put it into a little more perspective. The Beatles. In many opinions, the greatest and most influential band of all time. But they were inspired by Elvis Presley. The King, however, does NOT get credit for all their songs. He didn't write them. He provided inspiration.
Another instance! You fall in love. Or you think you do. And so you get out a notebook and write this amazing poem, INSPIRED by whomever the special someone is. Again, they didn't write the poem. You did.
The Raven, by Edgar Allan Poe! Was it credited to his lost love, Lenor?
Helena, by My Chemical Romance. Was it credited to Gerard and Mikey's grandmother?
80, by Green Day. Credit to Adrienne Armstrong?

NO.

I'm not saying your band of choice didn't help you. I'm not saying they are insignificant or anything like that. I'm saying that YOU control your life. YOU choose whether or not life is worth it, not some group of people who you've never met before.

I'm saying you should give yourself more credit.

I've had enough of hearing of bands who apparently save lives. So please, think on this next time you try to give a band credit for saving your life. Give yourself credit, and thank the band for inspiration. Everyone feels better that way.

Bobbye out.
December 10th, 2007 at 05:21am