SWING LOW, SWEET CHARIOT - Sunday 21/10/07

Well, their goes our dream of retaining the title of "World Champions" in this Rugby World Cup.

If you watched the final of the World Cup, you will agree with me that even though we lost, England played with the utmost PRIDE and PASSION! South Africa really didn't sail through the game easily at all (which I'm sure they expected to). The Referee was a bloody joke (if you can call him a referee; it seems he was just another Springboc player). Absolutely nothing went our way at all. Paul Saki was high tackled in the second half; the Sprinboc's played that many knock-ons that went undetected (or were they simply ignored); they were crossing over; they were pulling the scrum down on a couple of occasions also. The list of errors that South Africa made is as long as my arm, but the Referee just decided to let everything go for them.

On the other hand, our boys were picked up on each small misdemeanor. There were a few obvious mistakes, but other than that, we played a clean game of rugby. Cueto's "almost" try was so very, very close, but so far. If we would have got that try, we certainly would have won and held on to our title.

I am a devoted England Rugby fan (I love rugby all round), and even though we lost our battle, we played a blinding game and we really put the wind up the Springboc's! We played with all our heart and soul and that's why I'm proud of our boys. We were being slated not so long ago for not raising our game; look at the score against the South Africans last time (36-0; need I say anymore). However, when it mattered, we did raise our game and for us as fans, watching England playing like this is just fantastic; it makes you feel proud to be English!

So let's not write our boys off; they may not have kept their title, but they did us proud and surely this is what it should all be about. We've got the Six Nations coming up and roll on the next four years; we'll be there again playing our socks off.

On that note, I shall leave you all with one of the greatest poems ever written and something that's helped our boys through the ups and downs of their Rugby careers.

Jerusalem - by William Blake

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold?
Bring me my Chariot of fire.

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green & pleasant Land.

COME ON ENGLAND!!
December 12th, 2007 at 03:41am