Art.

Last night, I lay there thinking. Which isn't unusual.
But then I realized something; I realized why I love art so much.

No matter what form of art it is, whether it be drawing, painting, ceramics, making music, whatever, you start off with nothing. Perhaps a piece of paper. Or a bunch of clay or an instrument. But that's it. Ideas start pouring out of your head until you decide the most appropriate for whatever you are planning to do.

The ideas start coming out of you and start taking form. Gesture drawing always helps me start getting in the right direction, but any starting step is used. After a while, your idea becomes real. The way the notes fit together is even better than what you imagined. The drawing has a new shading technique that you've never used before.

After that, photography popped into my mind. See, some people don't see the world the same as others. Instead of seeing a tree, they see possible angles in which the tree would look good in a photo in. Which effects (if any) would be added to enhance the beauty of the photo.

Everyone has a different point of view. If I saw said tree and decided the angle I would shoot from, someone else could use a completely different method and come out with something 100% different than I. But that's the beauty of it. There are no limits or rules to what you have to see.

Usually, all I use are a piece of paper and a pencil.
On occasion, a Sharpie will slide into my hand.
Often enough, my camera is all I use.

I love taking nothing put a 8.5" X 11" and putting my ideas to life.
January 17th, 2008 at 11:48pm