Numb

No, I'm not actually numb. The title is a reference to the gig I went to last night [Tuesday 29th January 2008]...

...I went to see Linkin Park at the 02 arena, in London, and they were out of this world. I mean I knew they were going to be good, but I didn't know they were going to be that good :)


So, let's start with the support band; Biffy Clyro. I've seen them twice before (once when they supported Muse and once when they played a little tent at the Carling Weekend: Reading) but to see them that close, was epic. My dad managed to squeeze us 10 rows from the front, looking at the right hand side of the stage, and Biffy were very good, even if I'm not into them all that much...

...they played the classics; 'Machines', 'Saturday Superhouse', 'Who's Got a Match?' and 'Living Is a Problem because Everything Dies' and they did them brilliantly.


I was a bit annoyed, because my dad made us mooch upstairs to a bar, so he could buy a pint of "beer", so, when we got back down to the floor, yeah, everyone was squashed in trying to get as close as they physically could to the stage.

Still, we managed to get about 15-20 rows back, still on the right side of the stage, and it wasn't too crushing. I didn't even get that hot during Linkin Park's set. I had a bit of a gap so I could breathe. Unlike during MCR last March I almost died, seriously, I did, I was crushed against some dude with a huge afro and almost passed out because of the heat. I guess the 02 arena has better air conditioning than Wembley Arena :)


Oh my God! Linkin Park were something out of this world. I swear that gig had everything; passion, evergy, devotion and every single ounce of body and soul that band had to offer.

Set List: (Not in order, just a list of the songs they did...)
No More Sorrows
Lying From You
Somewhere I Belong
Wake
Given Up
Don't stay
Papercut
Points of Authority
In Between
Shadow of the Day
What I've Done
Numb
Hands Held High
Valentine's Day
Leave Out All the Rest
Breaking the Habit
In the End
Crawling
One Step Closer
The Little Things Give You Away
Bleed it Out
Faint


The best thing about that gig was that there was something for everyone. They did all their old classic for the die-hard fans who had been there from day 0 (like me, but I was only 9 years old when I first heard LP, that was way back in 2000 when Hybrid Theory came out)...
...at the same time, they had their new singles for the newer fans.

All through the gig, I had my dad going;
'What's this song called? Is it What I've done?' or 'Is it Crawling?

Kinda hard to tell him when LP are rocking out in front of you, but I managed it. Just.


How about this for randomness:

Went into the ladies toilets (duh, where else?) and there was a metal coathanger hanging over the door frame to one cubical. Just one and only in that set of toilets...

...The stupid people took away our tickets. You go to any other venue in London (Brixton and even the new Wembley Stadium) they rip the stub off and give you back the ticket, as well as giving you a wristband for the standing area. No, not at the 02. They give you a nice blue, plastic, wristband, and take away your ticket. Bastards.

I collect my gig tickets and stick them to my bedroom ceiling. I have been forced to get my Sharpies out and write the gig details onto my wrist band and stick that on the ceiling instead...

...Oh, and my beer cup tradition lives on. After Biffy, I dropped my cup of water onto the floor and my dad pushed me so, instead of treading on it, I trod in it. Then, on the way out of the venue, I was walking and thought I felt something weird on my left foot. I looked down and, shock horror, there was a beer cup stuck to it.

What are the odds on that? That at every concert I go to I get a cup stuck to my foot. It's fate...

Oh, and LP were shooting their new video, for 'Given Up' at this show. I don't think I'll be on the vid, I was too far to the edge, but it's still cool to know...


I had a bit of a weird moment at the gig. You know when someone looks at you, in a crowd, and you're not sure if they're looking at you or someone around you? But, other times, you know, you can feel it, that they're looking straight into your eyes...?

I had a moment like that with Chester.

The spotlight shone on the crowd, and Chester was standing on the right side of the stage (well, left from his pov). I blinked and looked straight up, through the crowd, at him and he looked at me.

It sounds stupid, to think Chester, the lead singer of one of my fave bands, looked at me, but I could feel it. That, and I had used my dad's shoulder to hoist myself up sligtly above the crowd. He probably thought I was some kind of nutter...

My dad actually had a similar incident when he saw Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder looked at him. I guess crap like that runs in the family...


If anyone is annoyed at my constant colour change, don't sue me. I'm in a happy mood, so I decided to play with the colours of this journal :)
January 30th, 2008 at 11:32am