February 3rd, 1959: The Day The Music Died

I was watching The Buddy Holly Story and La Bamba back to back a week ago because I had just bought it and was craving a sad sob story.

I love those movies.

Today, everytime I would press shuffle on my iPod, the first song to pop up would be either Buddy, Ritchie, or The Big Bopper.

I was freaked out a bit.

Around noon today, I realised...it’s February 3rd.

For people that dont know, on February 3rd, 1959, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and Jiles Perry Richardson died in a plane crash.

It is now known as The Day The Music Died.

American Pie by Don McLean was written about it. American Pie was about more than just the Day the Music Died...but mostly it was about just that.

What could those three men have accomplished if they hadn’t died?

Without them, there wouldn’t be a My Chemical Romance or a Green Day or whatever you listen to.

They influenced music more in their short lives than most could ever dream of.

I hope I don’t sound preachy...

It bothers me when someone doesn’t know who Buddy Holly is or who Ritchie Valens is. I can understand when people don’t know who the Big Bopper is.

Oh well...

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

I can’t remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died...


Moony
February 4th, 2008 at 03:35am