From Yesterday...

...literally, actually, because what I'm going to ramble to you all is from yesterday. Yesterday night, but what the hell...

...From Yesterday also happens to be the title of a certain song from a certain band called '30 Seconds to Mars' and, yeah, I saw them live last night (Weds 6th Feb) at the Hammersmith Apollo, London.


I have to say, hands down, that was the insanest gig I've ever experienced in my life. I've been to a few, and nothing even compared to that. I knew it was going to be pretty rough, the band have got a few jumpy/moshing songs.

What I didn't expect was for 2 people to be crowd-surfed over my head, passed out, and for one person beside me to pass out. 2 songs into 30stm's set.

Now that's insane...


So, what of the night?

It was mental. We (me and my friend) got outside the apollo at 6.30-ish and the doors didn't open until 7pm.

We got given about 50 million From Yesterday stickers. Well, it was 5, but that's not the point...

...Lol, some drunk dude queued to get into the ladies toilets. He was out of it, I swear, his eyes were all spacey and he tripped up a few steps on his way out to find the bloke's toilets...


The apollo is just like Brixton Academy. It's a tiny venue, holding about 5000 people, and the standing floor slopes downwards, so you can see everything. I still love Brixton more, even if there is a Starbucks outside Hammersmith tube station :)

When Mars came on, it was like a blood-bath. Crowd surges came from every direction, people were moshing everywhere you looked, people were passing out just 2 song songs in and there was jumping and crowd-surfers everywhere...

...My claim to fame last night was being about 5 rows from the front, then migrating to 3 rows, we kinda got pushed back to about 7 rows and then surged forward (during The Fantasy, their last song) to about 2 rows back and I saw the barrier. I couldn't touch it, there were about a thousand people crushed against it, but I saw it for a change...


The best part of the night was when Jared Leto ended up on the balcony, where the people sit, and did an acoustic set sitting on the edge of the balcony, with one leg over the edge. That man is a fucking God...

...his singing, and speaking, voice is one sexy bitch. And he stole my catch-phrase. Their violin broke, and he kinda mumbled;
"Shit happens"
down to the stage.

He slagged off the record company, because everyone was standing during their acoustic set, even the seated people, except for a row of 6 people who were, in fact, people from the record company.

Gotta love the Leto-meister...


Man, that gig had everything.

People passing out, moshing, crowdsurfing (some dude tried to crowd surf over me, so I shoved him backwards and he fell onto the floor), Jared Leto jumping into the crowd, violins, glitter and someone in front of us tried to make a flamethrower out of a bottle of spray and a lighter. It kinda didn't work, they got clocked by the steward and the guy just threw the bottle out into the crowd...

...I got a werid look of some person working in McDonalds afterwards. I decided it would be a good idea to wear my glow stick on my head like a halo, and she had to look twice to see if she had seen right...


I was having way too much fun to even remember what songs they did. They played most of their stuff off 'A Beautiful Lie', that's all I really registered. I'll probably edit this when I find the set-list online...
February 7th, 2008 at 01:25pm