FINALE

Well, that's it, I read the sixth and final issue of The Umbrella Academy: Apocolypse Suite last night and I feel elated to have read such a fantastic comic series but that elation is tinged with a hint of sadness in knowing that this was the "finale".

I went off comics for quite some time until I heard of The Umbrella Academy coming out. Yes, I did jump on the bandwagon at first as I obviously knew that Gerard Way was involved with it. That said, I can honestly say that the series has been wonderful; fantastic illustration by Gabriel Ba, amazing cover art by James Jean and the excellent penmanship of Gerard Way have woven together beautifully and have made this comic series a joy to read. Gerard really has put his stamp on comics now and I hope to read a lot more from him.

I've really got back into comics/graphic novels now, so much so that I've finished reading "Neverwhere" and "Eternals: Part 1" by Neil Gaiman, "Tamara Drew" by Posy Simmonds and one graphic novel that will always stand the test of time for me; "The Crow" by James O'Barr (which I have read, re-read and re-re-read again since the age of about 13). I'm currently reading "The Watchmen" by Alan Moore, which so far is superb. I've also got "V for Vendetta" to look forward and then "Wildcats" also by Alan Moore.

If it weren't for the guys at Dark Horse Comics, not to mention my hero Gerard Way and the team behind The Umbrella Academy, I can honestly say that I may have never rekindled that old passion I had for comics. A whole new world of excitement has been re-opened to me and I hope I'll be in this world for a long time to come.

So even though I've lost my friends in The Umbrella Academy for a while, I'm sure I'll see them again soon in a new series of adventures. Until then I've got whole new adventures to look forward to thanks to Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman.

LONG LIVE THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY
February 27th, 2008 at 05:54pm