Smashing Pumpkins

Yesterday was one of the best fuckin' nights of my life. I never thought it would be, but it was.

My dad and I went over to Denmark to go and see Smashing Pumpkins at Valby Hallen, and it was fucking... gfuewcafg! Amazing is an understatement. It was... I don't know, breathtaking?

You know, I've never been a big Smashing Pumpkins-fan, and I can admit that I just searched on one of their songs on YouTube because I knew Gerard Way was into them... But hey, I like Gerard's music, so why not his music taste? So I did, and they had some pretty good songs, like Ava Adore, Tonight, tonight and Today, but that was it. They didn't really impress me... But when I found one of their albums, Siamese Dream, in this record store, I bought it. Don't know why. Don't care why, I'm just happy I did. I got really into their song Disarm too...
But I was still not a big Smashing Pumpkins-fan. And yet, somehow, I chose to see them over Panic! At the Disco, who were performing yesterday at the exact same time as Smashing Pumpkins.

I've never been close to my dad; he works 8-6 and then takes care of my grandma the rest of the time, so I was kinda nervous to be alone with him for so many hours. I though we'd have nothing to talk about and that we'd just sit there and act like strangers.

I was totally wrong.

We didn't talk much, but I realized that I'm a lot like him. I can be comfortable in just sitting in silence, and so could he. No nervous smiles, no stupid talks about the weather, nothing like that. My mom's the opposite... If you're not talking, you're bored, according to her.

But anyway, once we got to Valby Hallen, everything was perfect. I got hyped up on those small things like the smell of different colognes everywhere and the sound of people laughing and talking about different songs that they want the band to play. And best of all... the guards didn't take away my camera, even though it was pretty clear that I wasn't allowed to have one.

I nearly regretted choosing Smashing Pumpkins over Panic! At the Disco when they started playing and I had no idea what song it was, and everyone was like "Yeah!!" and started jumping around like crazy. And then, after two songs Ava Adore started playing. After that, I can't remember much, just that I didn't care whether I knew the words to the songs or not, I was there, I was ten feet away from Billy Corgan, I was happy. All of my favourite songs were played, like Bring the Lights, (Come on) Let's go!, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Tarantula, Tonight, tonight... Well, all except for Disarm, but hey. And my dad was actually impressed! And my dad is one of those who constantly compare singers to Freddie Mercury and guitarists to Brian May. Just guess what he says about me liking The Ramones...

I've seen My Chemical Romance live twice and I adore them from the bottom of my heart, but I have to say that Smashing Pumpkins was better. I knew every word to all the My Chem songs when I saw them and I had been into them for years, yet Smashing Pumpkins really took my breath away, even though I hadn't heard 60% of the songs they played.

And best of all, my dad's already talking about wanting to go see another concert with me.

Image
February 28th, 2008 at 08:53pm