The observations and decisions I made on a twenty minute bus trip

I find it hard sometimes when I sit down and watch the world around me.
It makes me realize that I am not the only human that exists, that I am not just seeing images, reflections of light, and shapes. I am seeing im living, breathing and thinking people.
Like at this very instant, I sit here, on my bus, on the way home, I look around mean I see so many people look sad, who look troubled, who look like they they have something truly monumental to think about.
Like the woman who sits directly in front of me, who, when I stepped on the bus I made eye contact with, for just a spilt second. And in that split second I took so many things in. Mainly, her eyes, they were sad, they had emotion written allover them, in that split second I could see that she was deep in thought.

As goes with the blonde girl directly adjacent to me. Although we have not made eye contact I can tell with a quick glance that she too, is deep in thought.
She stares off into the distance, completely oblivious to the world around her. She makes a slight acknowledgment to another person on the bus as they stand to leave, only to return to her own world a few minutes after.

I have realized ever so recently that the world around me is full of thinkers, people who have something worth worrying about. Friends. Strangers. Enemies . They're the same in the great scheme of things.

This is something that I want to change. The world around us all should not be a place for suffering, and pain, and although there is no greater intention for how the world should function in my opinion, for I am an atheist, and it pisses me off when people speak of a great plan created by God himself.
And although their is no great plan, or anything of a sort created by a "higher being", we as a the only intelligent species to yet be discovered on this planet, should PLAN on our own accord, we should try to make the world a better place. And not in the generic, "withdraw a few hundred dollars and donate to charity," better. I mean the go out of your way to change things better. We are lazy, we are ignorant and the more I see the world around me the more desperate I become to change the world.
February 29th, 2008 at 10:39pm