My Obsession with American Idiot.

Proof of dorkiness:
I had a *cough* Smeagol (sp?)/ Gollem (sp?) moment yesterday. Okay, my one weakness on this planet is this: Tré-Cool-related-East-Bay-Punk Vinyl. Well, last week, I was perusing Adeline records' website. They had Green Day's American Idiot on vinyl. Insert happy dance #1. Not only that, but they had two rare singles on coloured (!) vinyl as well. So, at a good price I snapped all three platters up. Insert happy dance #2. Monday when I got home from work (at Midnight. Holy. Fuck.) my package had arrived by UPS. Insert happy dance #3. Quicker than Eddy after a dollar, i snatched up by box and squirrelled it away to my room. Then began the dorkiness. I very carefully opened the box from Adeline Records (yet another reason to love Joe *sigh*) (Tré maybe my monkeyboy, but Billie Joe Armstrong's green eyes I am a total fangirl for. That and he's a really awesome dude, and he would be awesome without the green eyes. Just, DAMN, those green eyes. Sorry, what was I talking about? Oh yes, opening my box.) and gingerly lifted out the singles. Minority and Waiting. *le dorksigh* I took them out of their sleeves, examined them. Squeed a few times. Put them back in their sleeves and added them to my collection of 45's. Then, in the bottom of the box was 12" of love. Ever so carefully, I extracted the album from the box. And before I had even removed the shrink wrap, I knew. I knew. I knew I had gone from normal Frankie to "My preciousssssssssssssss." I had a personal crisis when it came to removing the shrink wrap. For I could leave it factory-sealed and let it be a collector's item, or I could take off the wrap and look at the special artwork exclusive to this pressing of the album, and be able to listen to the album on my turntable. The shrink wrap was removed and discarded. I picked up the album again. I sniffed it. It smelled of... paper... and vinyl. I bitched that one of the corners was bent from shipping. And then I opened the gatefold. Exclusive album artwork. Totally fucking awesome. Then I pulled out the first record of this double album. With it came more album artwork. Though similar to the artwork in the CD booklet, this was different and better! The postmark on Tunny's postcard was clearer, the handwritten lyrics weren't broken up and were in the original ink colours the artist wrote them in (!), there were additional pictures that weren't in the CD booklet. Insert happy dance #4. I carefully folded up the lyrics poster and then took the actual sides A and B out of their protective cover. I examined the record. Mint condition, of course. Beautiful black wax. So fragile, but so badass. Continued vinyl-exclusive artwork on the labels. "Holiday," my absolute favoritest songest everest (and not just cause of Francesca from the video)(hot drummer boys in drag....*sigh*)(*cough*) is the first track on side B. Meaning I don't have to try to cue up that song on my turntable by guessing where it starts. So I can listen to "Holiday", on vinyl whenever I want, easily. Insert happy dance #5. I sild the first record back into it's protective cover then put the record and the lyrics poster back into the first sleeve of the gatefold. Then I pulled the second record out, sides C and D. Equally as awesome as Sides A and B. Track One on Side C is Give Me Novacaine. A song that, well, makes me orgasm whenever I hear Joe sing "It's Like A Throbbing Toothache Of The Mind." *cough* And it's going to be on vinyl. I'm going to have issues when I listen to this. Well, more than I already do.
Now all this excitement over a record is a bit excessive just in this form, but take into context that I already have this album on CD and have had it for 2 1/2 years. And listen to at least one song from it every day. I've burned copies upon copies of it so I can have it with me wherever I go. It's on my iPod. I have Bullet In A Bible, their concert CD/DVD that has most of the songs from American Idiot as well. I have the sheet music and drum tab books for this album. I'm teaching myself (without a drumset, cause I haven't gone near one since my drum solo at the Fun Dome with you. Yes. Sad. Too chicken to play drums in public, can't afford my own set, though I know the exact specifications of what set I would get. It's more personalized than Tré's.) to play the drums parts from this album. Tré would make fun of me (mostly cause he's an ass and thinks no one can play his drums as well as he can. Which is true, but you can't blame us all for trying, MonkeyfartBoy!) but I learned to play "Hitchin' A Ride" just by listening to him on CD and practicing on... everything that would hold still long enough for me to drum on it. The dog still runs away whenever I come near him patting a rhythm on my legs. When I saw "Bullet In A Bible" and the GrandMaster play it himself, I was vindicated. cause I'm spot on.
Well, the next morning, I had to keep checking that it was there. And it was. Coupla times, I had to touch it. But I haven't played it yet. I'm afraid. Of several little deaths resulting in one big one and I actually really truly DIE of the East Bay Punk. Because Billie's voice and Tré's drums are just too sexy. Or I get vinyl poisoning from over-lickage of the records.

I am a sad, sad dork.
April 11th, 2007 at 06:24pm